Any ideas from this video?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by WesleyBeal, Mar 10, 2017.

1. WesleyBeal

WesleyBeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2016
    Douglas County, Minnesota
    I'd reconciled myself to culling this rooster, but then it started acting a bit more lively, so I took some video, and thought I'd check here to see if anyone had any ideas what ails it?

Been this way for a week. Can't crow - just this quiet ghostly exhale of air.

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Hopefully someone else will chime in.

Does he have any discharge/mucous from the eyes or nares?
    Has be been coughing or sneezing?
    When you listen to him breath is there any rattle or gurgling?
    Have you noticed any plaques or lesions inside the beak or throat?
    Is his crop emptying overnight?
    Has he been exposed to any mold, mildew, dusty conditions, etc.?
    Is he eating and pooping?

To me it looks like a respiratory illness. The breathing is odd, especially if this is the only symptom he has.
    It's hard to know whether to cull or not. He's beautiful, but...depending on what your chicken keeping goals are, culling would be considered.

Be aware that if it is a respiratory illness, most are contagious and makes the sick bird and those exposed carriers for life. Depending on what this is, keeping a closed flock may be in order. Antibiotics only help with any secondary infections and won't cure the virus.

If you do cull him, you may want to send him for necrospy to get see if what ails him is contagious.

3. WesleyBeal

Nov 28, 2016

Thanks for replying!

I have not seen any discharge. Nor have I heard any rattling or gurgling when he breathes - just that hollow sound, like a person would sound without a voicebox.

I haven't tried to look inside his throat - will have to try that.

Holding him and feeling around, I couldn't feel anything in his crop: couldn't even find it, actually. He hasn't been eating. I put some greens, tomatoes, cheese, and meat in with him a week ago, and he ate a little, but very little. Then left it till it got old and I threw it out. He did show a little interest in cracked corn, but again didn't consume much.

Today though I believe he has eaten some.

He has pooped - again not much, but some.

None of the other (24) chickens have shown any similar signs.

My first indication something was up, in hindsight, was two weeks ago, when he lost his position in the pecking order to another rooster. The new guy was chasing him constantly. Then I noticed he wasn't crowing, then he wasn't moving much, and I removed him to the crate he's in now a week ago.

I'm still new at this. This is my first flock, and these guys are 38 weeks old. I tell myself that I am raising a flock, and not individual chickens. Been reading and re-reading stuff this week, and starting to think the right thing to do is to cull this guy. Don't enjoy doing that, but I don't believe it would be wise to ever breed him now. On the other hand, if he performed his other rooster duties well, he could still serve a purpose, the same as a broody hen which I hope I have at least one of.

4. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains

5. MrsBachbach

MrsBachbach Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Arkansas
    Comb looks a little purplish? Hard to tell in video. If so, that is a sign of something, you might want to check out this page. http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/

Tail is down. Did you check under that tail and make sure he isn't blocked with poop there? Always a good idea to even check your grown chickens once in a while, esp in summer. Flies can do nasty things back there. He is drinking which is a good sign. He may be on road to recovery. If you have poultry vitamins for their water I would give him some, along with rest of flock too. Always a good idea to give them some vitamins a few times a week in their water. It helps them fight off disease. Feed loses it's nutritional value with age (and many feed stores sell old feed), I've seen it! Check the dates! Six months or older, don't buy it!

Stress (the fighting with other rooster) can bring about disease that is in remission, so to speak. Meaning they have it and it usually doesn't pop up until something triggers it. Its very likely some in your flock have the same thing, it just hasn't been triggered. And it could be the guy was exhausted to the point of death too. It's usually the exhaustion that kills them.

Your problem right now is re-introducing this rooster when he recovers. It is a very good possibility the fighting will start again, leading to another illness or death of one of them. So, watch them closely when you do and it would help greatly if that rooster had a place to run away too if he wants. He will likely stay by himself at a good distance from the flock if he values his life. The best option for him, would be his own pen.

6. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    If he recovers you will most likely need to keep him separated/in a bachelor pad or if you have enough hens, let him have his own penned space with a few hens. What breed is he?

He may have been beaten more badly than it looks. Roosters can do damage quickly so internal injuries are a possibility as well.

7. WesleyBeal

Nov 28, 2016
    Thanks for all the insight. Prince was acting better tonight than he was this morning (than he was last night, etc.).

This evening I felt him all over, looking for any issues. Couldn't feel anything that seemed out of place, but then I'm too inexperienced to know what feels right.

He ate some today. Still no voice. Good catch on the comb color - I do think it is more purple than it was.

An injury would be a relief of sorts; better than an illness.

Keeping him isolated from the others is a challenge. I've got space. Even have an extra A-frame coop. What I don't have is a way to keep water from freezing every 30 minutes. So he may have to remain caged in the garage until the weather warms. Not a fan of that, but also not a fan of coming up with another water heater.

8. MrsBachbach

MrsBachbach Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Arkansas
    Yea, I'd keep an eye on him. That purple color on that comb is not a good sign. I think it means a lack of oxygen in the blood or possibly heart problem? I'm not sure. I think there are a few diseases that present with purple combs too.
    I found some cheap little quart size heated water bowls on walmart site a few years ago. I think they were made for cats. They work great for low number or individual pens for winter. Just have to get a power cord out to them.

9. WesleyBeal

Nov 28, 2016
    I think he's looking worse this morning. Thanks to you all's input, my best guess is he was injured, and he's not getting enough air. I'll watch him today. Especially if I think he's suffering, I'll go ahead and cull him.

I'm not enthused with the idea of setting up another coop for him for the rest of this winter. He's not a pet, and I need to remember to be realistic about my management with that in mind.

Of course I want my flock to live well and not suffer. There's a balance there that I'm still learning.

10. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    From your description of events and the video of his actions, I agree that he was most likely injured from the fight. He definitely is not getting enough oxygen. If he is declining and seems to be suffering, the kind thing to do is put him down.

We all have different goals/plans and management styles, so you need to do what is best for your situation.

I'm sorry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by