Any ideas of age & sex of my Cochin Chicks?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by NewbieChick2016, Nov 19, 2016.

1. NewbieChick2016

NewbieChick2016 New Egg

Nov 19, 2016
    Australia
    So I've had these chicks for 2.5 weeks and was told they were a few days old when I got them. Being a complete newbie to Chickens, I have no idea how to tell their age or sex? I'm worried Chick C (black one) is a roo only due to the comb being red already? There is quite a size difference between the Chick B & C. We say B is the baby, A is the middle chick & C is the oldest/biggest and bossiest.

Any help appreciated [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. lee miller1

lee miller1 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2016
    Is that a wattle beginning on the bottom of chick C's beak? If so I would say rooster.

3. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    If they are truly bantam Cochins, they should have yellow feet. Yours look a bit dark to me. It is possible they are Cochin/Silkie mix, with the Silkie a few generations back so that the top nots and 5 toes have faded away along with some of the darker skin color and feather type....but that may simply be photo shadow.

Having said that, bantam Cochins telecast early with the boys getting large red combs fast. (Cochin mixes often telecast early too, so even if yours are mixes, the pattern will follow).

I can believe these are about 3 weeks old.

With that in mind, C is almost certainly going to turn out to be a roo with pink and that much comb at 3 weeks, A is questionable, thus far B looks female.

You should have confirmation in a few more weeks, definitely by 3 months, especially if they are full bantam Cochins.

Cute chicks. Enjoy them.

LofMc

and....[​IMG]

4. NewbieChick2016

NewbieChick2016 New Egg

Nov 19, 2016
    Australia
    I believe so, yes. Here's another pic showing the side view a little better. [​IMG]

5. Lady of McCamley

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Chick C is a rooster. No doubt.

Sorry....unless you wanted a roo (or two...watch A).

LofMc

6. NewbieChick2016

NewbieChick2016 New Egg

Nov 19, 2016
    Australia
    Thank you so much for your helpful insight LofMc. There were silkies in with the Cochins when I purchased them so perhaps they are a mix, I'm not 100% certain. They just said these were Cochins and being a first time Chicken momma, I'm learning as I go.

I'm so attached to these babies already as they are backyard free ranging pets (once big enough of course.). We can't have a Rooster here so it makes me sad knowing he'll need to be returned. The seller said she will take Roosters back, which is good but I didn't really want to end up with Chicks of varying ages. I was hoping in around another week, they'd be ready for their coop at night time as it's almost Summer here in Australia and the temps are averaging 95F in the day and high 80's overnight. I'm ready to not have a brooder taking over my office.

Would we have to get a 3rd chick to replace the Rooster or would 2 be happy enough together? I got 3 as I was concerned one may die or end up a Rooster and didn't want 1 chicken on its own lonely.

7. Lady of McCamley

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Two would be plenty to keep themselves happy.

Just remember, Chick A has a bit of comb already too, so that might be a rooster too. Just not showing largely yet. You may need to wait another month to have more indication.

Hopefully Chicks A and B are pullets (B certainly looks so at this point).

LofMc

8. NewbieChick2016

NewbieChick2016 New Egg

Nov 19, 2016
    Australia
    Thank you so much for your help [​IMG] I will watch and wait a little longer to see if chick B turns out to also be a Rooster, before I do anything.

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree with Lady of Mc

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by