Any ideas of the breeds here? 10 week chicks.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Lady of McCamley, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Okay...thought I knew what these were but now that they have feathered out, I've no idea.

Here's the group of what I am pretty sure are all ladies at 10 weeks. They came from a grab bag of fertile eggs that were supposed to be layer purebreds, with some eggs that could have some Ameraucana, so EE's. Only 5 of the 14 eggs hatched. The two smaller came from smallish but not banty-size pale beige eggs, the big one came from a large brown egg.

They were chipmonks as chicks, so I thought I had an EE, a blue mystery, and a Speckled Sussex or Welsummer.

Now I just don't know.

Thanks for any help.
    Lady of McCamley

In left photo: Standing bird #1 is developing a rose comb. Two sitting: left #2 blue is definitely a single comb; right #partridge/RIR look has I think a single comb but may have a small cup at the top developing...can't tell yet.

[​IMG] [​IMG] in second photo: left Blue #2, #3 middle, #1 far right

Standing bird from above #1 Thought this was going to be an EE but no ID now. Maybe Partridge Wyandotte mix???? (left bird in trio below to see pattern on back)
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Bird #2, blue...wow, no idea, but what a pretty bird this is going to be. It could be a half-sister to #1 as the same neck pattern. Maybe mixed with Blue Laced Red Wyandotte?[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Bird #3 Thought this was either a Welsummer or a Speckled Sussex (SS) from the day old chick pattern. Now, it looks a lot like my RIR/Welsummer mix...I'm thinking a Welsummer mix too? Likely came from a very light beige egg though, which is why I thought Speckled Sussex, but no spots have developed. Your guesses...or at least agreement not a SS?

[​IMG]

2. Iuvmychix

Iuvmychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Sorry can’t help but they are really pretty! Did you say you hatched them yourself or got them from a breeder? :)

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    It looks like bird #1 and bird #2 are Easter Eggers. Bird #3 looks like a Welsummer, or a Welsummer mix.

4. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    I have to disagree about the EEs. They all have partridge coloring often associated with EE, but many other birds are partridge colored, too. And they lack muffs, beards, pea combs, willow legs, the body shape, of EEs. Of course EEs are mutts and can look like anything, but I just don't think these are.

Now, of course, I've just come in to say what they aren't, which isn't very helpful, I know. Sorry, I don't know what they *are.*

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Quote:I can see what you mean. They certainly don't exhibit the "normal" Easter Egger characteristics. Still, I think that they are Easter Eggers/Easter Egger mixes.

6. Blue

Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Virginia
    They all look like Easter egger mixes to me (other than the barred rock in the one pick. lol). I'd say it's likely that the people you got the eggs from had an Easter egger rooster in with their laying hens, and the ones you can't identify are the result of that cross.

7. Lady of McCamley

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Thanks everyone.
    Haaa Haaa...you guys had all the thoughts I had. (Serves me right for falling for the impulse buy of grab bag eggs..."layer purebreds" ....haa haa haa.)

I wondered about the EE roo daddy too...but they don't have EE looks...I guess they are just yard chickens...which should make for healthy good layers.

Except...I'm kind wondering about the blue one...is that game bird or EE creating that long tail.

That in my book is not "layer types," not even close.

Not sore...well I guess maybe a little over the game bird blood...just hoping the blue one actually lays a half way decent egg and regularly.

I really don't need ornamental grain eaters.

Lady of McCamley

8. WalkingOnSunshine

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Think positively--maybe that one is a brown Leghorn cross, which would also explain the long tail. [​IMG]

We allow one ornamental grain eater. We have a little Buttercup hen that's so cute and pretty and perky, but doesn't lay well at all. I keep her around just because she makes me grin. Otherwise--to Craigslist with the ornamental grain eaters!

1 person likes this.
  9. Lady of McCamley

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Good thought...I'm sure there's a lot of mixture that went into that "purebred" egg. [​IMG]
    Unfortunately.I am already enamored with her beauty...sigh. I can see me caving in and letting her have the run of the place, and the grain, just because she is so dang pretty to look at. [​IMG][​IMG]

Okay...you've validated me...ONE ornamental grain eater is permissible, after all my chickens are functional, but FUN is the first three letters in functional, right?

Lady of McCamley (soon to be over run with pretty birds)

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  10. WalkingOnSunshine

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    OK, I'm going to be very serious here, and tell a story. Long ago, when we first started selling eggs, I was very hard-headed about chickens. I had laying percentages that I met, and any hen that didn't meet those percentages had to go. Well, we had a little red-brown Ameraucana named Brownie Princess. No other chickens had names, and she was my young son's favorite bird. She also didn't lay worth a darn. Well, I liked her too--the only bird we had that liked to be cuddled--but I sold her. Because she only laid four eggs a week. And that was the last that my son ever cared about a chicken again. I think it really hurt him, although he no longer really remembers her and he's never said a word, and I'm still sad that Brownie Princess is gone. Since then, I've allowed a hen here and there that we keep just because we like her. I still watch the rate of lay percentages, and I still cull when that percentage starts to dip, but we allow a freeloader here and there, if we like her (or him) enough. And although I'm technically losing money on those birds, I think I'm a happier chicken owner.

So there's my sad story. Sometimes, we just have to keep that freeloader around, and we'll be happier chicken keepers for it. If you like her, keep her. No second guessing.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by