any ideas of what to plant in the run?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Brianm97, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Brianm97

Brianm97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Connecticut
    are there any weeds or somthing i can plant in the run that the pullets cant keep up with its dead bare in there and i cant move the coop becasue it a several hundred pounds and is partially buried kinda. we are expanding the run becasue i was told its too small even though they were fine before. but that is a different story. so what can i plant that they will eat and that will grow faster than they can eat it. i dont think there is anything but i was just checking. im in connecticut by the way.

2. PHILMAN

PHILMAN Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    South Plainfield , NJ
    RIRbarredrock
    Let me know when you find one ! I used to hate weeds ! ... Now I wouldnt mind a couple .
    They do love their greens !!

3. Brianm97

Brianm97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Connecticut
    if i find one that exists ill be sure to pm you [​IMG]

4. jaredkopy

jaredkopy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2011
    Fenton, MI
    I read in a post somewhere that someone used 2x4s for a frame (2" side down, 4" tall), put a small hole mesh over it and set it on the ground so the grass could grow without the birds ripping it out roots and all. Then, when the grass grew tall enough to get through the mesh the birds would 'trim' it and the grass would survive. I havent tried it yet but it sounded like a good enough idea. I'm going to give it a shot.

5. Chick Norris

Chick Norris Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Chester County, PA
    Yup. Search for "Salad Bar" and you should get a bunch of pictures.

Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by