Any ideas on a coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mytwogirls, Jan 13, 2009.

1. mytwogirls

mytwogirls Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2009
    greenbrier, tn
    I am planning on building my coop in a week or two. Has anyone got any plans? Of course I won't to keep cost low but I will do what I have to. I want one that can hold about 10 birds. I guess I just really don't know how to get started other than just start. thanks

2. willowcol

willowcol Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    My first coop was an A frame coop, it was easy to build, you can make it in a weekend, and I used all recycled materials. just build the base the size you need, my base/floor is 8 by 8. Add the 2 walls mine were made 8 by 8 at an angle so you end up with a big triangle. put on the front and back, with door of coarse. Shingle the roof ( which is both walls really) done. Oh make sure you add your nest boxes and roost before you put the back on, lol was not fun trying to add those later. I put small vents on front and back top and bottom for air flow. Good luck with your first coop. If you search A frame coops you should find a picture to see if its something you would like, The best part was the run is also A frame part covered part not, so 6 FT wire covers sides and top so no predators can fly in.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  3. #1California Chick

#1California Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    [​IMG] Welcome to BYC!!! [​IMG]

There are lots of pictures in the Chicken Coop section, with detailed descriptions of the construction. You will get lots of ideas!

Again, Welcome!

Cindy

4. mytwogirls

mytwogirls Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2009
    greenbrier, tn
    Thanks I like the way that sounds. I will check it out thanks again

5. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    Pull up a chair and start surf'n this site my young padwan learner. You're gonna be here awhile....

And welcome!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by