Any ideas on breed? 4-5 mo old hen

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Ksane, Aug 14, 2011.

1. Ksane

Ksane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
    I got this girl today from a BYC'er. She said it was sold to her as a Cuckoo Marans but was pretty sure that's not what it is. I've got 4 Cuckoo Marans and I agree it's not a Cuckoo. It's not real big either. Could it be another Marans color?
    She thought maybe Hamburg? I don't really know at all so I'm hoping some of you will have some idea! It's a perfectly friendly chicken although not "cuddly" like the Cochin bantam I got with her.
    Please help on breed!
    Thanks [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ChickasaurusRex

ChickasaurusRex Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    SF Bay
    Some kind of mixed Game Bantam? [​IMG]
    Is it a bantam?
    Cuckoo marans mix?

3. KatieBugg

KatieBugg Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2010
    Holts Summit, MO
    She looks like a Crele OEG.

4. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Most of the cuckoo marans you see are silver, however there is a gold... go to feathersite, he has pics. However, she has something that just isn't right....

5. Ksane

Jun 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Quote:Stoopid, you're right! Really need to change your name because you're obviously pretty smart lol Here's a picture of her next to a picture I found of another Gold Cuckoo Marans on BYC that looks to be almost the same age. She looks just like the Gold Cuckoo Marans on Feathersite also. I guess the original seller knew what they were talking about when they sold the bird as a Cuckoo Marans. I'm guessing she's a bantam because she's only about 3 lbs. She's around 5 mo old & not much bigger than my 4 Cuckoo Marans who are 6 wks old. I hadn't even realized there was a bantam version of Marans. My 4 have feathered legs and this one doesn't but it seems the feathered legs are less common.
    I'm really glad to have her now that I know what she is [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
  7. cpegram

cpegram Chillin' With My Peeps

cuckoo marans have pink legs

8. Ksane

Jun 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Quote:How can one be sure, Chris? The thing that keeps throwing me is she was sold as a Marans. And in the picture I just posted that *is a Marans next to her and they look identical.

9. Ksane

Jun 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Quote:Now that would make sense. I guess I can find out if the person who sold it to her hatched her themselves or got her elsewhere.
    I've never heard of Crele's before, I'm interested in personality. All mine are pets.

10. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    Quote:Leg color is all wrong for that if it was it would have white skin & shanks.
    She looks like a barred mix...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by