Any Ideas on breed and/or sex please?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Bowen Mt Chicken, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Bowen Mt Chicken

Bowen Mt Chicken Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2011
    Bowen Mountain, NSW
    We have some little chicks that are now around 8 weeks old, there are four left, we had some lice problems which have been treated and are still being treated from some birds getting into the flock and they attacked the chicks really bad so they have been vasolined and treated along with all the adults and a new roof went on the coop to keep out the wild birds, the first chick the little black one we know it is the mix breed chick between one of our australorps and a Silver spangled hamburg we had for a few weeks, the other chicks are either barnevelders (golden laced) or welsummers, this is what the breeder told us when he gave us the eggs anyway, any idea? Just looking for the sex of the black one, if it is a girl it can stay, but we are going to ive them longer anyway, I want to make sure all the lice are gone before going to new homes, and you can still see some eggs on the black ones face it is getting more vasoline tonight when there are helpers home to catch and hold. Thanks

#1 Black baby
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#2 this little one still needs to get some feathers and has been really slow to feather up
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#3 this little one was quite slow to feather up as well and now looks to be getting red ring of fine feathers around it's neck could this be hackle feathering?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#4 this one is the biggest one, but it has been the quickest to feather up, it got it's tail first and it's head and neck feathers first along with the black one it's neck feathers are more black with specks of red as you can see from the photo's
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Ummm I'm no expert but I think the first chick is a Black Australorp and the secound one is a Golden Laced Wyandotte. I'm not an expert so I'm not 100 %.

3. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    I seriously doubt the last ones are Barnevelders or Wellies... Barnevelders are practically black at that age. I literally could not tell mine apart from a BA pullet when they were in the chick house and she was a hatchery bird... They're not GLWs. Wouldn't make any sense that they're all single combed..

I'd wait until they're fully feathered to guess.

Sexes -

The first looks rooish. Not sure though.
    Pullet.
    Pretty sure it's a roo.
    Roo, no doubt.

4. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    first 2 look like pullets and the last 2 roos. i would wait till they are at least 12-15 weeks to be sure of their sex though

5. Bowen Mt Chicken

Bowen Mt Chicken Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2011
    Bowen Mountain, NSW
    Thank you, am kinda hoping that the black one is hen as she is from one of our hens and a rooster we had for three weeks, he was a silver spangled hamburg this one has a lot of white under it's wings, will wait longer to see though. Thanks for your help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by