1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Any ideas on breed or gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by FloppyEaredFarm, Dec 30, 2012.

1. FloppyEaredFarm

FloppyEaredFarm Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2012
    Shingle Springs
    I am new to chicken raising and got some chicks from a breeder in the area. At this time of year, she doesn't guarantee any type of breed since they are mostly out free ranging together. Breeds I know she has: Cuckoo Marans, Black Copper Marans, Welsummers, and Cream Legbars, but there could very well be others. Any guesses on this little one? The others all look like a certain breed, but I have no idea with this one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. nakstk

nakstk Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2011
    Kalama, Washington
    I am gunna guess Black Copper Maran. Welsummers and Cream Legbars are chipmunk looking as chicks

3. FloppyEaredFarm

Dec 29, 2012
    Shingle Springs
    Well I also got two other chicks that I think are Black Copper Marans and they look different than this little one. Darker gray and more feather development. This one looks different than any of the others. I am wondering if it is another breed? I'm pretty sure she had other breeds than the ones I know about. They are 11 days old if it helps.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  4. FloppyEaredFarm

Dec 29, 2012
    Shingle Springs
    I think I remember her saying she has Orpingtons. Could it be a Blue Orpingon?

5. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    it looks like it will be blue in color though it is a bit to early to tell weather it is mixed or not

6. FloppyEaredFarm

Dec 29, 2012
    Shingle Springs
    Thanks for the replies! I can't wait to see how this little one turns out!! I hope it's a girl because I am getting attached :)

7. Mac14

Mac14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2012
    Northern California
    Ya, can't wait to find out! :)

8. FloppyEaredFarm

Dec 29, 2012
    Shingle Springs
    When should I post another picture for more input? Meaning, how many weeks does it generally take to figure out what they are? If it is mixed, is it anyone's guess or can you usually tell by how they look?

9. KayTee

KayTee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2012
    South West France
    Rooster or not, it's so cute you've just got to keep it!!!

10. FloppyEaredFarm

Dec 29, 2012
    Shingle Springs
    I know! I love this one the most. It's got almost no feather development, so it's still SO FLUFFY! All I can think of is Despicable Me where she says "it's so fluffy I'm gunna die!!" and I feel the same way :) The rest of the chicks are super cute of course, but I just love this little one. I'm considering keeping one rooster, so if it is one, this might have to end up being the keeper :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by