Any ideas on breed? Too soon?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Shannoniganshens, Sep 24, 2010.

1. Shannoniganshens

Shannoniganshens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    West TX
    They hatched today, I have a broody and let her be, well all my hens would just sit on her and lay their eggs....so here's what I got so far, my flock (layers) are RIR,BR,a broody mutt, and Golden sex link, with only RIR roos in the coop......I don't know what we have created, but they are sooooooooooo cute!!!!!! I am so excited, waiting on 10 more [​IMG] , and never thought they would be so tiny!!!!!! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] Babies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    If I had to make a guess based on your girls I would say the dark red is pure RIR and the other is a cross with your sex link. What color is your mutt? If any of the chicks are solid black they are from your BR and are hens. If any are black with a white spot on their head then they are from your BR and they are a roo. A RIR roo with a BR hen is the Black Sex Link cross. Good luck with them.

3. Shannoniganshens

Jul 25, 2010
    West TX
    [​IMG]

Here she is, she was my rescue chicken, her previous owners were pretty mean to her, her name is Gimp, because the abuse that had been done to her left her gimping for a month. She's a great broody though, I was told game chicken with a white chicken, that had a couple black feathers in her tail, (probably a mutt?) But I love her, she's a sweetie.
    The colors go all over her body and she lays white eggs. I tried to get under her for some shells, but she just isn't having it, she got me good. [​IMG] I never really just paid attention to her, like look at color, she's one ugly chicken [​IMG] what you'd call her colors.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2010
  4. txcarl1258

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    She does look like an American game hen or a cross of that breed. Looks a lot like some hens I had a few years ago. All made great broodies and moms. With a RIR roo most of the chicks will be red or a buff color so it will be difficult to tell who the mom is except for the BR. Can't wait to see pics of the others. [​IMG]

5. Shannoniganshens

Jul 25, 2010
    West TX
    O.k.!!!!! The little yellow one has to be from her, if the red one is rir, there is a white shell and a brown shell under her. I faced my fear, lol stole dh's work gloves, she is so mean right now. And I have 2 more hatching out !!! This is so neat!!!! Chickens are already addicting, but babies, I love it!!!! Thank you on the i.d. of her, I would google game hen and get a lot of cooked chickens and recipes [​IMG] , then go to the fridge. I googled American Game, first site I clicked , there was what her dad looked like!!! Now if I could figure her mother out. LoL. I will post pics as soon as they are doing their little birth thing. AAAWWWEEEE, [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. txcarl1258

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    Congrats on more babies. She looks like a claret cross. Google Claret American Games and see what you find. I had some RIR game crosses in high school and they were gigantic! It seems the girls had the body type of their mother and the height of their father! Every single one came out red no matter he crossed with.

7. Shannoniganshens

Jul 25, 2010
    West TX
    [​IMG] I trusted Gimp (broody) and she failed me, she got off of the nest and is only interested in the first 2. It was cold last night, the two that were hatching are no longer moving , I don't know if the other eggs will make it, I have them in our home made incubator, they should of hatched the day before or yesterday.... [​IMG] I had her set up, she was in a covered play pen, nest box in it, had the chicks room to move, I go in this morning and she's in her food bowl with the 2 chicks under her, all eggs were so cold. I'll give them today, but I'm afraid it is to late.

8. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Both the chicks you pictured are mixed breeds since you've only got BR roos and neither of those are BR.

9. Shannoniganshens

Jul 25, 2010
    West TX
    They are RIR roos and BR hens, RIR hens, I believe the one is an RIR it was from what looks like their eggs and the other is a mixed, from the broody mutt. I don't really care if they are mixed, I just wanted to know if anyone might be able to tell who mama may have been, but we've figured that out now. I love them [​IMG]

10. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:Duh...sorry I misread your first post.....I thought it said you only had BR roos.....been one of those days!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by