1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Any ideas on breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jaewrite, Apr 20, 2016.

1. jaewrite

jaewrite Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2015
    Florida
    I got three chicks from a buddy that had to rehome them. The black one has feathered legs and feet. The buff and grey have feathered feet and legs but their legs are black and have five toes. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. chicklover 1998

chicklover 1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    silkies have black legs and feathered feet and five toes but are they smooth feathered or silkie feathered, and the other one could be a black sexlink, or black marans-can't really see the feet but from the feathers those are my guesses

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  3. Farrier

Farrier Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2014
    Do you know where your friend got them? The top looks like a silkie (or mix of two mixed breeds containing the silkie gene), the middle a mixed breed with some silkie in the lineage, and the black one possibly a purebred cochin (or bantam Cochin, I'm struggling to get an idea of his size relative to the others).

4. jaewrite

Oct 23, 2015
    Florida
    I really have no idea on their age. My best guess would be 3-4 weeks old. The buff and grey ones are smaller than my one week old ameracauna chicks but are feathering out good. The black one is about twice as big as the other two and is almost fully feathered.

5. jaewrite

Oct 23, 2015
    Florida
    [​IMG][​IMG]

6. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    The first two look like Silkie mixes, the black one with feathered feet looks like a Black Cochin.

7. jaewrite

Oct 23, 2015
    Florida
    Thanks so much for the information. That is what I was thinking on the black one. The other two I was clueless on but that makes sense.

8. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Your welcome, they are all awfully cute!<3

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by