Any ideas on breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by rellikmalinois, Oct 9, 2013.

1. rellikmalinois

rellikmalinois Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Mom was a Rhode Island Red and dad a mutt, curious what you guys think of the chick
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And dad (excuse the naked neck he was picked on his previous home
    [​IMG]

2. Aaisha

Aaisha Chillin' With My Peeps

maybe.... barred rock?? not sure, just a guess at how he looks.

3. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    What do you want to know about the chick? Seems like you know the parentage. Looks like it will be barred or cuckoo when it grows up. Too young to tell sex.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Classic barnyard mix. A mixed breed parent will always give a mixed breed baby. The father having barring means the chick will have barring regardless of gender, so you can't sex it by color/pattern. You don't say how old it is, but as it's feathered and I'm not seeing anything screaming rooster, it's probably a pullet. She won't be as flashy as her daddy, but it looks like she'll be nice looking with some mixed colors under the barring.

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Definitely a mix. For now, I think that she is a pullet, judging by the color pattern and comb size.

6. rellikmalinois

rellikmalinois Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2013
    New Hampshire
    I know it's a mix was just curious if anyone had ideas to guess what was mixed in as dad was also a mix. The chick is a about 5-6 weeks old

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by