Any Ideas on Chicken/egg related scince fair project for 1st grade?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by CoopCrazy, Mar 27, 2009.

1. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    My 7 yr old has a scince fair coming up[ and since we have chickens and eggs i thought that may be a good idea. Just trying to come upo with some ideas that are age appropriate. He's in first grade. We have EE's so tought maybe something about egg colors form different chickens? Any ideas would be appreciated.. [​IMG]

2. beak

beak On vacation

Dec 12, 2008
    Kiowa, Colorado
    I suggested our daughter do a demonstration of how much thicker the shell is on a real egg compared to a factory egg. She dropped eggs from different heights on to a piece of carpet and the real egg was able to be dropped from about 2x as high.

3. Leah-yes I know I'm crazy

Leah-yes I know I'm crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Skidway Lake, MI
    If you have time I like the float test. How to tell how old an egg is by floating it in water and a poster explaining why it works. I've seen it done with each egg 7 days appart and 3 days appart collected over 4 weeks in their own mason jar and it makes a good display. Even better if you could candle the airsacks and get pic's for the poster.

4. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Good ideas guys thanks we only have a few days as my son is always "forgetting" his homework at school but may be able to get some pics..

5. HennysMom

HennysMom Keeper of the Tiara

my son just did a science fair using fresh eggs from our chickens and then dried 2 day old egg shells (also from our chickens). The task was which could hold more weight - a fresh egg shell or a dried egg shell?

We did this by stacking books (cut 2 eggs in half (one set for each control *fresh and dried*, resulting in 4 egg shells each) and then water bottles and finally 2 litre soda bottles.

Take LOTS of pictures before, during and after each addition. Weigh each item you use (we weighed each book using a postal scale, then got the weight of the water bottles and then the 2 litres). You'll be shocked at how much weight egg shells can hold!

I wont tell you which one wins [​IMG] you'll have to find out for yourself but I will tell you my son won an award at the science fair for it [​IMG]

6. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Quote:That's what I was thinking. Maybe expand the project by seeing what kinds of materials will cushion the egg during a fall at different heights.

For example:
    Test 1 - Grocery store egg wrapped in bubble wrap vs. Farm egg wrapped in bubble wrap from a height of 2 feet.

Test 2 - same but, drop from 4 feet and so forth.

Have her come up with the materials to use to experiment with. The more of the project she does, the better it will be, and the judges CAN tell a difference between student work and parent work... if you know what I mean.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by