Any ideas on hauling heritage turkeys? includes lots of TURKEY PICS!

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by chickenannie, Nov 15, 2008.

1. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I am looking for ideas for how to get my small flock of Bourbon Reds to the butcher in a pickup truck or wagon... I don't have poultry crates, and don't really want to buy 20 of them for a one-time use. I have large cardboard boxes, but I don't think the boxes are large enough for a full-grown turkey. Another farmer said he put a bunch in the back of his truck but they piled up and smothered on the way to the butcher. Based on that, I don't think allowing them to be "loose" in the truck is a good idea.

How do the rest of you do it? Any suggestions?

Here are pics of my Bourbon Red heritage turkeys from nesting through the last pic, which shows how nice and big and fat they are for Thanksgiving this year. [​IMG]

Here's daddy tom in all his glory:
    [​IMG]

Nesting hen:
    [​IMG]

Another hen on hatching day (see her little poults):
    [​IMG]

A third hen with her cutie -- she nested in the corner of my mint patch:
    [​IMG]

Poults and mama free-ranging on the lawn:
    [​IMG]

Young'uns foraging in the garden with mum during the summer:
    [​IMG]

Two teenagers imitating Daddy on a hot summer day trying to cool off in the shade (daddy was molting at the time which is why there are feathers everywhere):
    [​IMG]

And finally, here is Thanksgiving dinner (pic taken last week):
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 15, 2008
  2. chickens4jojo

chickens4jojo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2008
    Upstate South Carolina
    Maybe some of those appliance boxes would hold some of them? Perhaps you could find some free ones from a local store?

They are really pretty turkeys though~~I hope your transporting goes very well for you. [​IMG]

3. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Oh, I want a turkey, or two [​IMG]

4. chickenannie

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Quote:You should do it! I thought turkeys were kind of weird and ugly at first, but they are charming and very people-friendly, and have amazing personalities. I've grown to really like them. They're intelligent and a bit more "contemplative" than chickens in their behavior. (Ever seen a contemplative chicken?). [​IMG]

5. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Quote:I got a couple the BB's are in the freezer thier big day comes in 2 weeks. [​IMG]

I also have some mixed heritage, I dont find them to be near as friendly as the BB's though, they are like puppydogs follow you around, and wait at the door for you to come back out.

6. Marlinchaser

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    I took mine to be processed in dog crates, then again you probably dont have a bunch of those around either.

How much will those dress out at, and how old are they?

7. carousel

carousel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    NW Oregon
    can you barrow some dogs crates?

8. chickenannie

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Quote:I can't imagine finding 20 dog crates anywhere...
    Bourbon Reds dress out at 8 to 13 lbs. These are mature at 7 months. If I waited until 18 months, which I've read that some people on here do, they can go up to 15-20 lbs. But that's a LOT of extra feed for those 5 extra pounds. :eek:

9. chickenannie

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    This is my first year selling them for Thanksgiving, and at first I was afraid they'd be too small, but it turns out that a lot of people want a small turkey and were thrilled that they could get a 9-10 lb turkey from me.

10. Marlinchaser

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Quote:I can't imagine finding 20 dog crates anywhere...
    Bourbon Reds dress out at 8 to 13 lbs. These are mature at 7 months. If I waited until 18 months, which I've read that some people on here do, they can go up to 15-20 lbs. But that's a LOT of extra feed for those 5 extra pounds. :eek:

Thanks for the info, You dont need 20 crates, you can fit 3 or 4 in each, and they will not trample each other.

Edited to add, I could bring a couple crates, and see how many of those Bourbon Reds would fit in each. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 15, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by