1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Any ideas on how to fine non GMO feed for chickens

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by dranna, Aug 19, 2013.

1. dranna

dranna Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2013
    South central Ohio
    I'm trying to eliminate GMO food from my diet. Having laying hens, I am eating a lot of eggs and am using Purina Layena Plus Omega 3 pellets, no hormones or antibiotics but I'm sure its full of genetically modified corn full of round up pesticide. I live out in the sticks and there is a feed mill near me where I buy horse food and I know they do all kinds of feed but haven't asked if they have non Monsanto corn being brought in. I'm also not sure what else to include. I do let them forage, we have 200 ft of poultry fencing that includes about half yard type area and half is under hemlock pine trees. I will put them in their house/run when we're both gone all day. I will let them out to forage for an hour or so when I'm around to keep an eye on them, but I know they are getting most of their food from the pellets. I only have 4 hens and I'm more concerned about our health than the cost. I've tried to check the list, but end up reading for hours on end and never finding what I need so before I got sidetracked again, I thought I'd start a new thread.
    Thanks,
    Anna

2. roxysmydog

roxysmydog Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2013
    Chesterfield Twp, MI
    Do you have any local organic farms nearby? I am located just northeast of Detroit. We have an organic farm that is about 10 minutes from my house that sells me organic chicken feed by the bag. It actually is only about $1 more than TSC feed. My friend lives about 1.5 hours from me and she said she just found a farmer near her that isn't certified organic but doesn't use pesticides or any of the bad stuff. I would start with a google search and see if you can find any local organic farms and start calling around. Good Luck! Unless you ever make the drive up to MI and want to buy from my farmer. ;)

3. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    It's not that hard to do. Look for something without corn or soy for starters. I buy from a local egg producer and he custom mixes his layer. I don't have a tag handy but it's wheat, milo, flax, vitamins and minerals for sure and probably some other stuff I can't think of right now. Protein is 15.5 and Ca is 4. It's unlikely that the mill will have non GMO corn or soy. Other things to use are brewery grains (mostly hops, wheat and barley) but not distillery grains (mostly corn), fodder, BOSS, fermented grains. I feed alfalfa fines and it shouldn't be too hard to find non Round Up ready alfalfa (good protein, good Ca and great orange yolks) It will be more work to balance their diet but once you figure it out it shouldn't be any more expensive than the bag you already buy. My feed comes in at $0.37/#.

Your mill should be willing to help you develop a custom mix. You will have a minimum of at least 500# but it might be as much as one ton. 500# is almost a 2 year supply for 4 hens but it shouldn't be too hard to find someone to go in on it with you or sell the extra bags on CL (or get a bunch more hens)

4. Dirty Irons

Dirty Irons Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2013
  5. dranna

dranna Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2013
    South central Ohio
    Thanks for the input. I went ahead and ordered from countryside and should get my order tomorrow or Friday. From there, I'll have a tag with ingredients for the mill to work on or see about carrying for me or I'll keep ordering online.

6. roxysmydog

roxysmydog Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2013
    Chesterfield Twp, MI
    I'm glad you found something!

7. Dirty Irons

Dirty Irons Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2013
    They also sell by the ton, I know it's expensive all at one time, but cheaper in the long run. I know I can't afford it though..LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by