Any ideas on HOW to get my girls to go and STAY outside?

Cattle dog Mom

Songster
Oct 23, 2020
North central, WA
I have 4 mottled Java pullets roughly 6 ish months old. They REFUSE to go and stay outside. They will come out for a little while, but then right back inside they go. Keep in mind that they have as much or more room INSIDE as some peoples do outside. ("Inside is a12x12 ex horse stall. Run is roughly 3+ times that size.) I HAVE only had them for about 5 weeks. I thought maybe they would "get over it" eventually and want to spend more time out in the run, but so far it is NOT happening. Short of locking their butts out, any other suggestions? (Or do I just need to give them more time?) I swear they are the only chickens in the WORLD that now have grass and weeds growing in the run! LOL

It took my first pullets weeks to walk off the coop plank and onto the grass in the run. Well, actually, one time they were all inspecting the grass from the plank but refusing to step off the plank when one pullet came running at full power out of the coop and she couldn’t stop in time, she ran right into one pullet on the plank and she fell onto the grass. Since that moment, all the pullets had to then hop off.
It will take some time, but they will get use to it.

Have you tried tossing some scratch grain outside? My hens will follow me out and spend as much time as necessary out there cleaning up the scratch grain.
Yep. They come out for "chum". Then right back in they go! I don;t want to "overdose" them on scratch so it doesn't take them long to clean it up.

It took my first pullets weeks to walk off the coop plank and onto the grass in the run. Well, actually, one time they were all inspecting the grass from the plank but refusing to step off the plank when one pullet came running at full power out of the coop and she couldn’t stop in time, she ran right into one pullet on the plank and she fell onto the grass. Since that moment, all the pullets had to then hop off.
It will take some time, but they will get use to it.
All they have to do is walk out the door! LOL And they do it fine, just don't want to stay out and get some fresh air and sunshine! LOL (Pics from yesterday as I was standing outside calling them to COME OUTSIDE. LOL)
IMG_5894.JPG
IMG_5895.JPG
IMG_5896.JPG
IMG_5901.JPG

Oh, I see now - the yard is too sparsely populated for them, they don't feel safe. They need things to hide under, things to hop up on. Got an old picnic table, or patio set not being used? That would help. I like to put up corner roosts, maybe bury an old tire to jump up on. Lots of opportunity for enrichment, in an enclosure that big!

Back
Top Bottom