Any ideas on Meyer Rainbow Layers? New pics!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by KyBlue, Jun 27, 2010.

1. KyBlue

KyBlue Songster

Dec 13, 2008
    Southeastern KY
    I received my chicks ordered as Rainbow Layers from Meyer Hatchery last week. Any guesses on the breeds?

Brown Leghorns? Welsummers? Single combs
    [​IMG]
    Now- very flighty
    [​IMG]

Buff bodies and white heads- single combs
    [​IMG]
    I think Clint was right....Probably New Hampshires?
    [​IMG]

These have rose, pea or cushion comb not single.
    [​IMG]
    Some of the smallest in the group- ???
    [​IMG]

Leghorns? White Rocks?
    [​IMG]
    I'm thinking White Rocks- 1 definite roo -in front
    [​IMG]

The one on the right shows the leg color of the whites next to the buffs. They are all smokey colored.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 7, 2010

2. kipper

kipper Songster

Here are my guesses:

#1: These do look like Welsummer chicks, that's my best guess. Very vocal birds when they lay!

#3: I would guess EEs, but I can't see their legs which would be grey. Comb description also would support this guess, and their markings vary a lot.

Buffs and whites could be anything.

You must like suprises!

3. RAREROO

RAREROO Crowing

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    The first ones are hard to say for sure but they probably are Welsummers or Brown leghorns, both are the same color as adults too so it is hard to tell. They may even be Speckled Sussex but their leggs look yellow.

The ones with the buff bodies and white heads are the color of New Hampshire Red chicks so I'd say thats what they are.

Not sure on the other brown ones and the whites are probably too young to tell a difference between leghorns or rocks espcially just from looking at pics.

4. huckleberryfarm

huckleberryfarm Chickenista

Jan 7, 2010
    Greenwood, SC
    Your chicks that look like chipmunks look just like my EE's when they were little. I don't have those other breeds so it may be them as well. But my EE's have slate blue legs and yellow legs. They are not all blue. They are 12 weeks old now and beautiful! Enjoy!

5. KyBlue

KyBlue Songster

Dec 13, 2008
    Southeastern KY
    I really don't think the chicks in pic #3 are EEs because they have bright yellow legs and no muffs or beard. But I guess time will tell.
    I did get some EEs in the assortment though...green legs and all.....
    EEs
    [​IMG]
    culled due to cross beaks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

close-up of buffs w/ white heads-wings coming in with black on them
    maybe just poor quality buff orpingtons? or Meyer's golden buffs??? not like typical buff sex link though
    [​IMG]

Also some New Hampshires
    [​IMG]
    Now thinking RIR or Production Reds?
    [​IMG]

Golden Campines
    [​IMG]
    Now
    [​IMG]

Salmon Faverolles
    [​IMG]

Thanks for the responses so far....

Last edited: Aug 7, 2010
  6. cherylcohen

cherylcohen The Omelet Ranch

Sep 18, 2009
    SF East Bay CA
    Just wondering if meyers keeps records and you can call to see what they put in your assortment?

7. KyBlue

KyBlue Songster

Dec 13, 2008
    Southeastern KY
    I'm not sure cheryl, but I doubt that they do. I'm going to call tomorrow to see though. It's worth a shot. Last summer I ordered an assortment from Mt. Healthy and they had the breeds and # of each labeled on the lid of the chick box. It was quite helpful! I'll probably order with them again the next time.

8. KyBlue

KyBlue Songster

Dec 13, 2008
    Southeastern KY
    Quote:I called Meyer and asked if they kept records and the lady said no. She said with thousands of chicks going out in one day, they just didn't have time. She was very friendly but she just couldn't help. She told me to get a catalog and look in it, which I had already done several times. The chicks are feathering out now and look to be wheaten but they do not list anything wheaten in the catalog. Oh well, I'll just have to be patient and time will tell.

9. KyBlue

KyBlue Songster

Dec 13, 2008
    Southeastern KY
    I've added some updated pics above.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by