Any ideas on my mutt chickens?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by 5acresandadream, Oct 31, 2016.

1. 5acresandadream

5acresandadream Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2016
    North Eastern USA
    This spring I bought a few dozen eggs off some people who sell farm fresh eggs, and I figured I'd give them a go in my old incubator. Amazingly some strong babies made it! Not many, but I did get 8 healthy hens. The eggs were large and brown, I have no idea what kind of chickens they came from. My girls are going to be 7 months old in about a week, and color and size only varies slightly between them all. I only have two hens out of them all that are larger, and have dark red, large combs. They still aren't laying, but I am hoping they will start soon. Any ideas on breed??
    [​IMG]

2. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    They look like Hatchery grade buff orpington

3. 5acresandadream

5acresandadream Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2016
    North Eastern USA
    I thought they looked like buffs, only the color is just slightly more tan than my pure buff orphington rooster, hes more of a gold, so I wasn't sure. They are also on the smaller size.

4. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Probably mixed breeds involving red sex links. The white in their tails is usually a clue for that.

They appear to have white legs.. which is a dominant trait and not too common in anything except orpingtons so maybe buff orp mixed with red sexlink?

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    hatchery type or mixed buff orps

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by