1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Any ideas on the breeds that my chicks are? (they are mixed)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by LadiesnMarston, Jun 14, 2016.

1. LadiesnMarston

LadiesnMarston New Egg

Jun 10, 2016
    Hello everyone!

These are my first chicks and my introduction to chickens (I'm addicted). I am wondering what breeds might be mixed into these sweethearts. Also, if anyone has any thoughts on gender that would be awesome! I thought they were all girls (they are named the golden girls Blanche, Dorothy and Rose... But I think Rose might be a Ross... Any help would be appreciated:

[​IMG]
    Here are the three girls Front left to right is Blanche, Rose and Dorothy. Blanche has grey legs and feet with the occasional feather going up them. She is pure white. Rose is all white with the exception of a couple of dark feathers under the white ones on her back. ..and Dorothy is well... Dorothy! they also seen to be developing mini fros on their heads, so cute!

[​IMG]
    This is a closer look at Dorothy
    [​IMG]

Here is Rose and Dorothy with my Marston, guardian of the chickens.

Thanks!

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

I would say all three are multiple generation Silkie mixes - probably had a Silkie grandparent. Beyond that it's difficult to tell.

How old are they? For right now I'd say Blanche is likely a pullet, Rose is likely a cockerel, and Dorothy is iffy, but age plays a big part in sexing.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

I agree they're likely mixes of mixes. I love the unique looks [​IMG]. Some silkie blood a ways back, other than that it's hard to say.

I think Rose and Dorothy are quite likely little boys.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I agree with donrae and Queen Misha. I think Dorothy or DAN? has beautiful coloring. Can you keep him?

5. LadiesnMarston

LadiesnMarston New Egg

Jun 10, 2016
    Thank you for the replies! They are almost 7 weeks old now. All three are very sweet and get along with my 5 Rhode island reds (I got them at 20 weeks old) and Mama.
    Mama came from the same place as the eggs for the golden girls (or guys) did. She was attacked by a mink and was in really bad shape but I took her home and 3 months later here she is:

[​IMG]
    Her comb has never stayed up.. lol she also has grey legs like Blanche.

I am going to keep them even if they are roos, they are all very sweet and are very attached to my hubby and I. I really hope that they stay sweet and don't become aggressive, hoping for the best!

6. LadiesnMarston

LadiesnMarston New Egg

Jun 10, 2016
    Here is another picture of Dorothy (potentially Dan).. I lover her colors too![​IMG]

I also hatched a second batch of chicks about 3 weeks ago. Look at this beauty's colors and feathered legs!
    [​IMG]
    I call her Marilyn Monroe since she has eye liner and she's beautiful! Hoping for a little girl here, how many boys sport winged eye liner like that!? ;)

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    That side pic of Dan shows he's definitely a he. Those darker patches on the wings are a male trait. He's going to have stunning coloring when he matures [​IMG]

8. LadiesnMarston

LadiesnMarston New Egg

Jun 10, 2016
    Thank you for the reply! Looks like I'll have 2 boys in my group of ladies!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by