any ideas on the sex of these EEs and Silkies? *Update, New Pics*

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bibliophile birds, Oct 19, 2009.

1. bibliophile birds

bibliophile birds Chillin' With My Peeps

i really love 2 of my 5 EEs. since i don't need 2 roos, i'm really hoping these are hens. or, at the very least, a hen and a roo. they are only 3 weeks old, so maybe it's still too early to tell. BYCers, however, seem to have magical sexing powers, so i'm hoping you guys can help. [​IMG]

"Blondie"
    [​IMG][​IMG]

"Chickzilla"
    [​IMG][​IMG]

and the Silkies (these pictures aren't great. my mother can't use a camera to save her life.)
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2009
  2. CindyS

CindyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    still to young

3. bibliophile birds

i was afraid that would be the answer. i'm just so impatient!

what is the average age when you can tell?

4. sarjaysar

sarjaysar cosmic chicken

Jun 12, 2009
    Guernsey
    Um I may be tempting fate, but its possible they are all girls (I know thats a very open statement)! I've spent TOO MANY hours to mention observing the nature and characteristics of chicks! Fingers crossed! Best to post update pics in a couple of weeks..

5. bibliophile birds

Quote:may i have your address so that i may come and KISS YOU! [​IMG]

for real, though, it would be amazing if they were even 3/4 female. i would be so very happy. these are the first chicks i've raised so i really don't even know what to be looking for. i read about rounded saddle feathers and the length of secondary wing feathers, but that's all gibberish to me.

6. sarjaysar

sarjaysar cosmic chicken

Jun 12, 2009
    Guernsey
    I was extremely lucky with my first and second lot of hatchings. All ladies!! [​IMG]

7. bibliophile birds

new pictures. i'm sure it's still to early, but, well, hope springs eternal. and they are just pretty.

Blondie (getting less blond every day)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Chickzilla

[​IMG] [​IMG]

8. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    So far, there's no sign of them being roos, but sexing them will be far more accurate when they are at about 6-7 weeks old.

9. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    I'm calling 'em girls. As far as the Silkies go, I have four-month-olds and I'm still guessing.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by