1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Any ideas on this bantam?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by telsono, Sep 15, 2014.

1. telsono

telsono Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2014
    This is Mocha, anybody have any ideas about what she/he is. Breed and gender.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I was wondering if those top two feathers might be sickles or not.

2. emmyeagle

emmyeagle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2014
    Central New Mexico
    I don't know, just wanted to say it's a pretty chicky!

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Looks like an Old English Game Bantam/mix of that breed. And it is a pullet.

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree.

5. telsono

Sep 15, 2014
    Mocha is about 10 weeks old so time may tell more about her origin. She was in a bantam assortment from a hatchery and shouldn't be a mix.

6. jomaree

jomaree Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2014
    Maitland Nsw Australia
    I am only a beginner with chickens but wanted to say how beautiful this bird is.

7. telsono

Sep 15, 2014
    Jomaree - Thank you, Mocha is a good bird, I took those pictures from less than 2 feet sitting on the same bench.

I am also pretty much a novice. My previous encounter with livestock was back in college (nearly 40 years ago) in my "Animal science" class. Having 2 science degrees (forestry and plant diseases) makes me investigate more. Mocha was suggested at being a Buff Japanese, but her legs to me are too long (normal length). I was hoping possibly as a Nankin, but I doubt it.

8. PoultryQueen101

PoultryQueen101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2014
    Middle-East Ohio
    Thank you for suggesting Nankin because I highly agree that it is. Well, that SHE. I say this because she has slate legs when OE should not, and she should be a pure bird of hacthery quality. Also, nankins are a bantam with golden feathering and black main tail feathers.

9. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    After looking up photos of Nankins, I also agree that your hen is a single-comb Nankin.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
  10. telsono

Sep 15, 2014
    Mystery solved. she's a nankin.Thank you PoultryQueen101 and BantamLover21 for your input. I put in a query on the Nankin page with the same photo's and got a positive response. She certainly is a homebody that fits with being a Nankin as well as a docile bird.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by