1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Any ideas on this eye issue?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by wendybowen131, Feb 24, 2015.

1. wendybowen131

wendybowen131 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2015
    We have had her about 3-4 weeks, i noticed her eye was slightly swollen the morning after brought her home. It continued to get bigger. I took her to my small animal vet (some called me crazy), he drained the cyst & it was back within a day. He seems to think it's chemosis. I have been putting drops in it for about 2 weeks. It hasn't worsened, but it's not going down. She has no other symptoms. I need chicken expertise! [​IMG]

2. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    I have never seen anything quite like that, and I'm not familiar with Chemosis, but it seems like she should be on antibiotics if it's coming back. Have you asked the vet about that? I would call him back if I were you.

3. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    Welcome to BYC by the way. And no you're not crazy, many people solicit vet's help in dealing with their birds.

4. wendybowen131

wendybowen131 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2015
    Thank you. We are starting her on antibiotics tomorrow. He has also mentioned removing it. I will try a series of meds first.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by