Any ideas on this guy's heritage?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by SweetMotherOfMars, Sep 1, 2009.

1. SweetMotherOfMars

SweetMotherOfMars Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    The Palouse
    He has an EE mom, we hatched him out of an olive egg.
    The man at the farmers' market let us have half a dozen fertile eggs at the eating-egg price since we didn't care if we had purebreds. I didn't care what we had then, but now I'm curious.

I realize he's a mutt, but what can you tell me about his comb and coloring?

Evan:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thanks!

2. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Almost looks like he has some maran in him- but with EEs you'll never really know. The mom was a mix to begin with so...
    I do like him though![​IMG]

3. Goose and Fig

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Oh- DUH! They probably used a maran to make the olive-egger to begin with. [​IMG]

4. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Maybe a little Silkie blood, EE obviously, Black Copper Marans?

5. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    Have you heard him crow yet? I dont see any pointy saddle feathers. Sure he's a boy?

6. SweetMotherOfMars

Aug 24, 2009
    The Palouse
    Thanks HappyMtn & Kooshie! Maran would make sense. There are certainly some gorgeous Maran eggs posted on this site. I think he's lovely, but I'm a little biased. [​IMG]

KWC, out of the 4 that I think are boys, he is the quietest. The last time I saw him crow (2-3 weeks ago) I'd been petting him on my lap and when he got down he bragged to the others that I was playing favorites.

I'd love it if I'm wrong, though. Out of 5 hatchlings we only have one pullet. *sigh*

See https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=237701 for the others.

7. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    EE/ameracaunas have peacombs (though some can be straight) and Marans, have a straight (Single) comb. This bird has a walnut comb, seen in oriental games, Sumatras (could explain his dark plumage and the mulberry color on the comb.), and a few other breeds..

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  8. Goose and Fig

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    EE/ameracaunas have peacombs (though some can be straight) and Marans, have a straight (Single) comb. This bird has a walnut comb, seen in oriental games, Sumatras (could explain his dark plumage and the mulberry color on the comb.), and a few other breeds..

Ahhhh- yes- the sumatra could explain the long tail. Maybe it is a girl [​IMG]

9. SweetMotherOfMars

Aug 24, 2009
    The Palouse
    If it is I'm sending both of you virtual kisses!
    Sumatra, huh? *runs to look them up*

10. SweetMotherOfMars

Aug 24, 2009
    The Palouse
    *sigh*
    Pulled the 3 other cockerels out and moved them (noisy boys). After about 25 minutes alone with the pullet Evan started crowing.

He's been quiet since. I put up a dark blue net (actually football jersey material we found at a sale) around the pen, limiting his field of vision. We'll see how long that works. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by