Any ideas on this kids color pattern?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by houlahoula, Aug 17, 2014.

1. houlahoula

houlahoula Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2010
    Atlanta
    [​IMG]
    More feathers...
    [​IMG]

I would love to hear opinions on this chick!
    It is from an incubated hatch and I have only seen pics of the mixed flock that provided the eggs. There are numerous potential genetic combinations so tell me what you all think. BTW, she is a bantam. I look forward to hearing back. If no one has any ideas then I am going to guess that somehow a chicken got together with a lionfish! Have fun with this one!

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    I would wait till the chick gets in the second set of feathers, since they can change so much from first feathers to adult feathers. I've seen dark red chipmunk ee chicks grow into black and white adult ees. I would guess this bird will be black and white once grown, but time will tell. Post more pictures as it grows.

3. Rhandi74

Rhandi74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    East TN
    It looks like the chick is going to have barring. I love the color and the frizzle, though. My hen hatched a barnyard mix and I have one that I do not know the color either. Here he is
    [​IMG]

4. houlahoula

Jan 25, 2010
    Atlanta
    I notice the yellow legs and feathered feet, single comb. Cochin in there, I'm guessing. Did your flock produce this baby or you had a broody hatch this baby? If this is offspring from your birds, what types of Roos do you have? Thanks for posting!

5. Rhandi74

Mar 31, 2014
    East TN
    Yes this chick was from my flock. I have a LF cochin Roo.

Here he is...
    [​IMG]
    Jewel, the broody Momma. Possibly one egg was hers
    [​IMG]
    I have 2 white rocks that were laying
    [​IMG]
    And my lavender Orpington
    [​IMG]
    These were my only hens laying when she went broody

Here are the other chicks. They are each so different.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. houlahoula

Jan 25, 2010
    Atlanta
    Any EE or Ameraucanas in your flock? Where do the slate come from? feather pattern looks EE the chicks as well.

7. houlahoula

Jan 25, 2010
    Atlanta
    Sorry, " legs" should have followed "slate" in that last post.

8. Rhandi74

Mar 31, 2014
    East TN

No those are the only possibilities on parents but I do not know their genes. They were purchased from local people and the white rocks I was told were leghorn but they lay a light tan egg. The lavender Orpington was what I was told she was. My Cochins I was told were blue but they have lots of color leakage so I don't think they are blue, someone on BYC suggested my Roo was sunburnt splash. I have several other breeds that started laying after the chicks hatched so I know they are not possibilities.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by