Any ideas on this rooster's breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chshubert, Mar 7, 2013.

1. chshubert

chshubert New Egg

Apr 2, 2012
    Anyone have any idea what breed this rooster is? I'm thinking maybe some type of game bird.... I rescued him and 6 hens last summer - 2 easter eggers, 1 barred rock, 1 buff orpington and 2 mystery hens (shown below). He is relatively docile, but a bit on the skittish side.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. TravisE

TravisE Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2012
    fayette county wv
    he looks like a red jungle fowl. also [​IMG]&[​IMG]

3. chshubert

chshubert New Egg

Apr 2, 2012
    Do you know much about the Red Jungle Fowl?

4. TravisE

TravisE Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2012
    fayette county wv
    i dont know much about them. but i thank they are the closest thang to a wild chicken. they bight be the oldest breed of chicken. other than that some one else will have to help.
    sorry i cant be of more help.

5. chshubert

chshubert New Egg

Apr 2, 2012
    Thanks! I appreciate the suggestion. I hadn't looked into the Red Jungle before.

6. RockerHen

RockerHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Chappells, SC
    He looks like he may have some easter egger in him too..I see hints of a small beard. Gorgeous roo. Such bright color.

7. chshubert

chshubert New Egg

Apr 2, 2012
    I hadn't noticed the beard! He really is a nice fellow - so pretty and very mellow, And he has the prettiest crow!

8. chickenoverlord

chickenoverlord Chillin' With My Peeps

He looks like an Easter egger/pumpkin hulsey game cross. He is STUNNING!!! He Is not a red jungle fowl (the ancestor of domestic chickens) because he is to large (red jungle fowl are itty bitty), his coloring is off, and he has a walnut comb (red jungle fowl have single combs). He might also be a Easter egger /krienkopp cross, or an Easter egger/Malay cross. (srry, I can not spell krienkopp right, lol. They are a game bird bred fom Malays and heavy breeds.) hope this helps![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by