1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Any Ideas on what breed of rooster this might be?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Willow Beth, Mar 2, 2012.

1. I have looked at hundreds of pictures and spoken with the hatchery they were purchased from. I have two of them the only difference being that one has green tail feathers while the other has grey. large pea combs, black feet but pink skin, small white ear tufts. Patches of deep rust on shoulders and wings, very nice. They came in a package of heritage birds, supposed to be four breeds. They were to be Ameracauna, Danish brown leghorn (maybe red can't remember), Buff Brahmas and Buff Orpingtons. I'm pretty sure he is none of those. Here is some pictures, not great ones, but they should do. The Hatchery swears he is a Brahma but I've attached a picture of my Dark Brahma, nothing alike and these two do not have a single feather on their feet.

[​IMG]
    Unknown

[​IMG]

Ameracauna rooster(left), and unknown rooster(right)

[​IMG]
    This is Stumpy, he was going to be destroyed due to very frozen feet( he was in a block of ice) silly bird, any way we rescued him and he is recovering nicely with no feet. a little wobbly still but healthy.

2. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    The first one is a mix with Ameraucana, and the last one looks a lot like a Brahma, Shamo look to me.

3. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    they are both ee's, hatcheries don't sell true ameraucanas.

4. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Both are Easter Eggers. Like ramirez said, hatcheries don't sell true Ameraucanas or Araucanas. Also, there can be beardless EEs, which is what the second guy is.

5. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    x2!

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Easter egger roosters. They were sold to you as ameraucanas. The fact that they don't meet the breed standard, thus you can't match them to any pictures, indicates they're not really ameraucanas. Plus the fact they came from a hatchery.

7. That sucks. Does any one know where I could get them up here? I'm in The Yukon very near the Alaskan border.

8. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    both ee's

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by