Any Ideas on what killed my Rooster? Graphic Pictures!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by BookWorm243, Jul 5, 2011.

1. BookWorm243

BookWorm243 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Franklin, NC
    Hello,
    I went to let everyone out and my rooster Henry was dead [​IMG] He had been pulled thru the fence by something, I am not sure what tho [​IMG] Any Ideas? The fencing is 5ft so I don't know what could have done this, since he was at the top. Could a raccoon do this? He looked fine ( no scratches, ect.) I am wondering if his neck was broken and thats what killed him. Any Ideas would be much appreciated.

Thank You

Pictures Below

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  2. MVchickens

MVchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2010
    Martha's Vineyard MA
    I think your rooster killed himself. there is nothing that would suggest a raccoon. A raccoon would have eaten him inside the pen not try to get him out.

3. Lacey1988

Lacey1988 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Mississippi
    Quote:I think he flew up an got his head stuck and broke his neck

4. Pebbles

Pebbles Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2009
    Kingman, AZ
    I would suspect he started higher on the fence with his head in the Y where the two fence panels meet and lost his balance, struggled, which caused his body weight to drag his head down the slot between the panels, thus hanging himself. So sorry [​IMG]

5. Roccomanchickens

Roccomanchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Carroll, IA
    That's terrible! Sorry for your loss. I have never had anything happen like that and had a hard time imagining that something could "pull" a chicken through a fence. So sad, but amazing what predators will do to eat. It is strange that it was so high up. It looks like the predator came into the pen and carried the chicken up the fence and couldnt' get it over the top and pulled it through. Unless your rooster flew up that high and a racoon grabbed his beak through the fence. One thing for sure; Now you will probably need to wrap the fencing with hardware cloth sin ce the predator will be back.

6. Roccomanchickens

Roccomanchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Carroll, IA
    Quote:Yes, this even sounds likely; especially since there were no marks on the rooster.

7. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I agree, the coon wouldn't have left it like that. He would have ate at least some of it. I should know my roosters have been being raided and ate, tore apart no madder what we do. I've trapped 4 so far and lost another on last night. Have to put new locks and get electric fencing tonight for meat birds. Raccoon's kill at night. My murderers have been appearing around 10:30, except for the past couple days, with them coming at around 2am due to fireworks. We waited for them last night, was going to blast it, but I'm not a night owl, I didn't last past midnight. I am on a mission to rid them. Next move is to get an outdoor dog. Sorry for your lose.

8. chicktwins

chicktwins Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    I am so so sorry about this. So sad [​IMG] Does he usually fly up to the tops of the fence? Did you hear anything unusual last night or this morning where you could maybe get an idea of what time this may have happened?

9. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Oh boy, what a crummy sight to wake up to. Yah, I think self inflicted too. He was going to be the first one out this morning. He reminds me of my big boy I lost a couple months back.

10. ReikiStar

ReikiStar Chillin' With My Peeps

Raccoons absolutely pull their victims through fencing but none would go this high. I'm of the mind that he somehow managed to do this himself as well. Were their fireworks in your area? Were the chickens uneasy last night? They might have caused him to fly up and into this unfortunately position.

I'm really sorry for your loss. Animals manage to find ways of hurting themselves that we don't think of. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by