1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Any ideas on what kind of chick this is???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by GAChknGirl, Sep 3, 2009.

1. GAChknGirl

GAChknGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2009
    Denver, Illinois
    I hatched this chick i have no idea what it is i am new at hatching so i bought some from a man, he had many different breeds?? Hmmmm.. It is very cute though! we hatched 2 that look like this and one chick is black and white and is getting brown feathers??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. weaveagarden

weaveagarden Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2009
    Hoquiam, Wa
    Looks a little like my partridge rock. Also a bit like my dark cornish. Is the head a almost maroon-red in the sun. Both of them looked like that. The cornish had a grey under belly and the rock had a brownish. Does that help?

Also, what does it looke like from the top or back. Are the legs yellow or horn colored?

3. weaveagarden

Jul 4, 2009
    Hoquiam, Wa
    Here are mine at about 4-5 days I think.

First the Partridge Rock (sorry for this bad pic
    [​IMG]

Then the Dark Cornish
    [​IMG]

And at about 3 1/2 weeks
    First the Partridge Rock
    [​IMG]

Then the Dark Cornish
    [​IMG]

And at 8 weeks
    The Partridge Rock - Rogue - cockerel
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    And the Dark Cornish - - pullet we believe
    [​IMG]

I have lots of chickens right now, but I must admit I am very partial to these two. I know that Mya will be part of permanent flock, and maybe Rogue if I decide to keep a rooster. I had one chosen, but he is just now crowing, and it is too loud and too early.

I hope this helps you determine the ID on yours.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
  4. GAChknGirl

GAChknGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2009
    Denver, Illinois
    They have grayish black legs, i dont think it is a dark cornish, but the other maybe?? hmmm..

5. weaveagarden

Jul 4, 2009
    Hoquiam, Wa
    They both had sort of a brownish color legs early on. I think it is what they describe as horn colored. The cornish now has some yellow as well.

Can you get a couple more pics... I think that will help someone more experienced to ID it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by