Any ideas on "Which Pullet is Laying" Pic of Egg Included

HeatherKellyB

✝️ Perfectly Imperfect ✝️
May 31, 2019
Moore County, NC
JPEG_20191117_201338_4811330327810435028.jpg

I have five pullets that are 2 days shy from being 23 weeks old. The flock consists of 2 SLWyandotte's, 2 Barred Rocks, and 1 Buff Orpington. I know the 2 Barred Rocks are laying because they squat. The other 3 do not squat. Today, I had THREE EGGS in the nesting box. I checked the nesting box before locking them up last night so I know these eggs are from today. I've tried checking pelvic spacing and I'm not able to tell anything or even feel any difference between them. Is it more likely that I have 3,possibly even 4 layers? Going by other clues, I don't believe my BO is laying or near laying yet as she is quite (unless being picked up), possibly finishing up with a molt (I'm new so I'm basing this possibility by her amount of feather loss lately, her mood, and overall demeanor~ There is a huge possibility that I am completely wrong), more pink than deep red, and has not really had much comb growth. One of the SLW is more talkative than the other but neither of the SLW want much to do with people unless treats are involved. They know the cockerels in the bachelor Flock, but there is always a fence between them and the boys, if that makes any difference. Thank you for any help, insight, and/or thoughts you may share. I appreciate any and all help
JPEG_20191117_201338_4811330327810435028.jpg

The egg from 11/16 was extremely light, almost a light cream color. I had no reason to believe that anyone was laying except for the BR's because I figured the color differences were due to the girls being new layers. There is no telling how long there have been more than the BR's laying. This was the first day that 3 eggs were in the nesting box

I see 5 different eggs there, so I would say they are all laying.

Could be new layer 'color variation'.

Is it normal for some birds to not "squat" when the start laying? I will try checking pelvic spacing again, but I've been going off of the other indicators of color, noise level, comb growth, and spending time checking out the nesting boxes. I guess it doesn't really matter who is laying, other than if a problem/health issue started. Once I start getting more every day, I could try to vent coloring but I hate to bother them with that unless necessary. I could be wrong and it's need to know information

Is it normal for some birds to not "squat" when the start laying?
Probably.
I don't know because I've always had a male in the flock, so they are less likely to squat for a human.
Even the pelvic point spacing is not absolute proof,
that can spread a week or more before actually laying happens.
Only way to really know who is laying what is to stalk to coop and catch them in the act.

I'm kind of obsessed with trying to figure out which of my pullets is laying, and who is laying what. I haven't tried examining for pelvic spacing yet, but as I gain experience that is something I would like to learn.

For now, I've just been checking the coop and the nest boxes frequently to try and catch them in the act. I am having trouble telling the eggs apart because most of them are a pinkish to light brown color. I know my EEs, dominique, speckled sussex, and salmon favorelles are laying because I have caught them in the act.

I get between 3-5 eggs a day. I Have not yet seen the wyandottes, brahmas, dorking, or orpingtons in the nest boxes--doesn't mean they're not laying but I suspect they're not. If the wyandottes and the orpingtons are not yet laying, I think they are getting close.

Maybe if you're not confident in your ability to access pelvic spacing, you could just sit out in the run with a book and see who goes to the nesting boxes. I can't sit outside for extended times because of kids and other obligations that keep me hopping, but I can make frequent short trips outside on the days when I'm home, and even with those limitations, I've been able to discover a bit.

Congratulations on those beautiful eggs! I really like that deep brown one. I don't really have any dark or even medium brown eggs yet...would be nice to have some darker ones to add to the mix.

Probably.
I don't know because I've always had a male in the flock, so they are less likely to squat for a human.
Even the pelvic point spacing is not absolute proof,
that can spread a week or more before actually laying happens.
Only way to really know who is laying what is to stalk to coop and catch them in the act.

Thank you so much. You've been very helpful. I really appreciate you sharing your knowledge and thoughts on this :D

Hello all, my Speckled Sussex has back off on laying for almost a week now do you all think it’s due to the shorter days now? The other 3 are still laying eggs everyday and today one of my chickens laid a egg with blue spots on it is this normal?
F47ED353-F18F-4972-B194-D51244A0E423.jpeg

Hello all, my Speckled Sussex has back off on laying for almost a week now do you all think it’s due to the shorter days now? The other 3 are still laying eggs everyday and today one of my chickens laid a egg with blue spots on it is this normal? View attachment 1976972

Hi @Cwestlake! I'm sure your post will receive more attention and replies if you start a new thread. This one is a little bit older so folks have possibly unfollowed so they probably won't see your post. I hope this helps and you get some information that is helpful. Wishing you all the very best.

Unfortunately I don't have any Speckled Sussex but I'd love to help if I did. My 5 girls are all laying but I'm still not sure who is laying which egg. I'm very surprised that my girls have started laying with so little daylight. I don't get 5 eggs every day and I'm guessing the amount of daylight has something to do with that, plus they're all new layers.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom