Any ideas? Only two that look different....

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Addictedtothebirds, May 13, 2010.

1. Addictedtothebirds

Addictedtothebirds Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2010
    Pennellville, NY
    These are two of our 4 week old chicks. They look different from the others. We order 16, 4 of each breed. We have 4 silver laced, 4 easter eggers, 4 brown laying surprise and 4 silver laced bantams. These two are just totally different than the others. Any ideas pullet or roo and what breed? Thanks. Loving my chicks : )[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ggrap

ggrap Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2007
    Colorado
    New Hampshire Red roo and Easter Egger not sure what sex yet.

3. Addictedtothebirds

Apr 1, 2010
    Pennellville, NY
    Thanks, We dont mind a roo as long as it is only one. I dont want to deal with a bunch of them seems everyone is all in one big coop and free range during the day together.
    New Hampshire Red a version of a easter egger or did we just get another breed from the others all together?

4. anniem

anniem Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Eugene, OR
    The Red would probably be one of your brown egg layers? Did you already have 4 of those and 4 EEs accounted for?

It is too early to tell with the EE, but I'd be comparing comb development among them in a couple of weeks. I think it was 6 to 7 weeks when it became obvious with mine that one was turning out to be a roo. I was gonna say the legs look kinda thick but my pullets look almost as big as the cockeral's, that wasn't a good comparison for my EEs.

5. Addictedtothebirds

Apr 1, 2010
    Pennellville, NY
    Well we thought these were both easter eggers..... we are new at this but there were also 3 yellow and one white we thought those were our brown egg layer suprise. This is fun but a little confusing. They dont really look anything like the pictures of chicks we ordered from. I guess we will wait and see. THank you

6. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    The first one looks like a Rhode Island red to me. I wouldn't venture to guess sex yet, as that comb doesn't look pink at all. My RIR females' combs grew pretty quickly.

The second one could be an EE, but it has a straight comb. That's not too common with EE's. I wonder if it is a partridge rock?

7. anniem

anniem Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Eugene, OR
    Post pictures of the others!
    I wonder if the white one is your EE? The last ones legs look way too dark for a PR, at least comparing to the 5 weeker I have now.
    The first looks pretty similar to our red sex-link, a brown egg layer.
    Do the other EEs have puffy cheeks? I forgot about that when I posted earlier, doesn't looked like that 2nd one does (but they are mutts, so it still could be one technically). What color are the legs? Are they black?

Last edited: May 15, 2010
  8. embkm

embkm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2009
    Colbert, Ga
    The first one is a hatchery RIR pullet. The second one could be an EEer, but the legs look wrong. I think it's a girl too though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by