1. what's kickin' chicken

what's kickin' chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Missouri
    Some hens have black spots on comb and wattles,swelling around eyes,some are like warts,and some look like blisters,bubbles in some eyes.I did cull one that looked like she had warts with black tops and seemed to be blind in one eye....I was thinking Fowl pox but not sure ... I don't bring in adult birds,wash clothes and shoes if around other birds..they have been vacc. for Marek's as chicks................what do you think
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    The black spots/warts could be from Fowl Pox, which is a viral disease of poultry spread by biting insects (mosquitoes, etc.). In its dry form, fowl pox appears as bumps/scabs on a bird's face, comb, and wattles. It also comes in a wet form, which causes lesions/bumps in the mouth and respiratory tract, sometimes leading to suffocation.There is no real treatment for either form of Fowl Pox; symptoms usually resolve themselves in 3-6 weeks without treatment. However, antibiotics are often helpful while the bird has fowl pox to prevent secondary infections/diseases.

The swelling on the face/wattles is likely a sign of a secondary infection in the form of a respiratory disease/sinus infection. Good antibiotics to use for this include Tylan50 injectable and oxytetracycline (Terramycin, Tetroxy HCA-280, etc.). Supportive care in the form of warmth, isolation, vitamins, etc., can also help the affected birds recover.

The bird that appeared blind may have been diseased with ocular Marek's. The fact that she was vaccinated doesn't overule this possibility--even vaccinated chickens can develop Marek's disease later on.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    These are some sick looking birds with all of the swelling in the eyes. How long has this been going on? I see a few lesions that could be fowl pox, but I think you have got some respiratory disease going on such as mycoplasma or coryza. The nasal openings in some are crusted. If you do not wish to cull, I would also recommend treating with Tylan50 injectable or Tylan Soulble Powder in the water. Are you noticing any bad odor that might indicate coryza? If so, sulfadimethoxine (Di-Methox, Albon, or Sulfamed G) would be the better drug. Getting your state or local agricultural vet to test one of your birds would be smart to find out what you are dealing with. Here is some reading: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
    Also in picture number 5, the pupil is small--possibly from Mareks disease?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  4. what's kickin' chicken

Jan 23, 2011
    Missouri
    Thanks for the help guys,
    no smell or discharge ----had lots and lots of mosquitoes this past summer,so I'm thinking fowl pox still,just don't want it to turn into something else
    going to get some tylan50 for the water.....

5. what's kickin' chicken

Jan 23, 2011
    Missouri
    how long do I use tylan 50 in the water and how long before we can eat the eggs again ?
    thanks

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    You cannot use Tylan 50 in the water, it needs to be injected.

-Kathy

7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Tylan 50 is an injection--give 1/2 to 1 cc in the breast muscle daily for 3-5 days. Some people say you can give it straight orally, but it shouldn't be mixed in water. Tylan Soluble Powder is for mixing in the water, and easier for multiple chickens. The big jars are $50, but I have seen smaller ones lately. There is a 1 day withdawal with Tylan.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  8. what's kickin' chicken

Jan 23, 2011
    Missouri
    Thanks for reply- did not find any Tylan S. powder at feed store,did get oxytetracycline started them on that ... hope it will help [​IMG]

9. what's kickin' chicken

Jan 23, 2011
    Missouri
    You guys haven't heard the worse part yet I already culled 3 or 4 before I seen the wart like things.... some of you know in the past I had coryza,and when I started out this time..... I was going to cull fast and hard ..... if any of you have ever went through coryza,you know how bad it is................ This time around no swap,no trade,no adult birds,we don't do anything with our birds if we have been around other birds till we change clothes and shoes,we have only hatched eggs from 1 member and he was NPIP (helps my mind a little) and we have Cackle vac. for Marek . I even clean nieces shoes before she can look at my birds ....now that's just what I do,I don't mean to hurt feelings.....AND I STILL MAY GET respiratory disease,due to secondary infections just from fowl pox..Right?...my heart is broken,I would set down and cry again if I had time....I didn't sleep very much for the pass two nights thinking about the birds I had killed and the birds I may still have to kill,It has took us about 3 years to get the birds we have now (little over 100) and they are our babies,pets etc.
    I just would love to know for sure what started this and where did I go wrong...... I put meds. in water just to keep them from getting secondary infections[​IMG] now I don't know what to do I don't want "carrier" birds but I don't want to cull everything since some are not even showing signs of fowl pox,but are in the same pen...I don't know what to do................
    I don't talk much on here,I'm a shy person,but I'm doing it for my birds they need help.... wkc

10. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    What happened to your birds with coryza? Honestly these chickens have more than fowl pox going on. It is either mycoplasma or coryza with all of the swelling in their eyes and sinuses. I would get one tested by your state vet. Here is the link: http://agr.wa.gov/FoodAnimal/AnimalHealth/statevets.aspx

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by