Any Ideas Re: Bloody Comb?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kmclay, Dec 17, 2010.

1. kmclay

kmclay Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2009
    Kansas
    I put my subject in CAPS this time, hoping someone would answer. [​IMG] I've seen a few posts about chickens with slightly frost bitten combs, but my little banty rooster is bleeding quite a bit. I brought him in the house (basement) for the night, but can anyone tell me what else to do? I'm not even sure it's frostbite. His comb, on top and bottom, is bloody, blackened on the edges, and almost looks like it is drying up?

2. cackleberrycoop

cackleberrycoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Montana
    Is it pale and frozen? If so you need to thaw it out with a warm cloth held ( but not rubbed!) gently against the skin until it is thawed out.
    When it is thawed, or if it is not frozen, you can put some Neosporin or similar ointment on the bloody spots. He should be kept away from the other chickens so that they do not smell the blood and feel the need to peck.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Did it perhaps get frostbitten and then pecked?

4. kmclay

Apr 26, 2009
    Kansas
    Cackleberry and Flock Mistress, thanks for responding. Cackleberry, it is the opposite of pale and frozen. It is very red and bloody. Flock Mistress: I wondered this as well. My first instinct was that he and another rooster were fighting. I've read posts that say Neosporin, and I've read posts that say NO Neosporin, so I'm afraid to do anything. I've also seen posts that they die of this. ACK! I just don't know what to do. Guess I'll see what he looks like in the a.m. He's lived thru worse winters than what we've had so far....that is the weird part.

5. Qi Chicken

Qi Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2009
    Neosporin without painkillers is ok to use. Actually I think the bad pain killers for birds end in -caine (like novacaine) and Neosporin actually doesn't have that in it so it is ok even when it says it has painkillers in it.

The problem is that once it is bloody the others will continue to peck at it. They will also peck at a scab thinking it's a bug--or something else interesting, I don't know what they think really.

You should remove your banty roo and gently wash his comb off to see the extent of the injuries. Then you can put neosporin on it and let him heal (IN ISOLATION) until there is no evidence of the injury. It could have been an accident, he got a little cut and the others went for it. Could have been frostbite with the blackened tips. Or someone (the other roo) could not like him and be out for him. Whatever the case you will eventually have to address the underlying problem if it happens again.

Some people use blue kote on an injury to prevent pecking. I have had two vets tell me it is nasty stuff and not to use it. That said, I have a roo right now with a blue bottom because he never grew in feathers after a dog attack. He was COMPLETELY healed when we put him back but his back is fairly bare near the root of his tail. I don't know why they keep doing it but it has been several months now. The blue kote doesn't seem to be helping anyway. He was bloody again today [​IMG] I have never really heard of anyone using it on a comb before so I would check on that. I would try to let it heal without it anyway.

Good luck.

6. kmclay

Apr 26, 2009
    Kansas
    Thanks Qi chicken. This little rooster is special to us. Ever since he was a little guy, he's jumped into our hands. Now, he is spoiled. He stands on the front porch and crows for cheese and lovin'. He will happily be held for hours. Such a crack up. Anyhow, I did put Neosporin on his comb, with a little flour on top to seal it, and he gets to spend the night in the basement. He is competing with a new rooster (actually his son!), so maybe they fought. I don't know. Combination of cold, new rooster, and other chickens picking on him? He's been THE rooster for a year or so now, so it seems weird to think they'd turn on him. I love him enuf to ask my husband to kill the other rooster. Terrible, huh?

7. Qi Chicken

Qi Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2009
    No, not terrible. You're just worried about your guy. Hopefully you can resolve this without losing either of them. I would let him heal and then put him back. If it happens again, roo #2 might have to go to a new home. They may continue to fight to establish dominance (hopefully dad would win!) and maybe this was just a freak accident that got out of hand. They might be able to establish the pecking order next time without blood. I just love banty roosters by the way. Something about them just makes me laugh. They are so tough and tiny.

ETA I used to live in Hungary. I always wanted a Vizla! (sp?)

Last edited: Dec 18, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by