Any ideas what breed these are?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jeanette2roos, Aug 30, 2014.

1. jeanette2roos

jeanette2roos Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2014
    My parents live in Spain and have just bought 4 hens at POL. Unfortunately their spanish and knowledge of chickens is poor and are know unsure what they have got. Mum thinks they are RIRs. However, from the photos I sure you can see that they aren't.
    Does anyone have any ideas what they are?
    I'm not sure what common spanish hen breeds are.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Sunshine0235

Sunshine0235 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Lebanon Ohio
    The red is a red sex link pullet. The other two look possibly like black sex link pullets.

3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I agree with Sunshine0235. The one in the top pic is a Red Sex Link pullet and the other two are Black Sex Link pullets. They are not actually breeds, but hybrids. Red Sex Links are produced by crossing a red gene rooster with a silver gene hen. The offspring can be sexed by color at hatching (male chicks are whitish, female chicks are reddish), and they will outlay either parent breed. Black Sex Links are produced by crossing a red gene rooster with a barred gene hen. Like RSLs, the offspring can be sexed by color at hatching (male chicks are black with a white spot on top of their head, and female chicks are solid black), and like RSLs, they are egg laying machines, outlaying either parent breed.

4. Yup! Red and Black sex links.

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Black ones are Black Sex-link pullets. The red one is a Red Sex-link pullet. All of them should be excellent egg producers!

6. jeanette2roos

jeanette2roos Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2014
    Thankyou I think that's clearer. [​IMG] I'll let them know.

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree with the other posters; the red bird is a Red Sex-Link, and the black ones are Black Sex-Links.

8. victoria7668

victoria7668 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2014
    Eastyorkshire-England
    In England the red one is a hybrid called a Calder ranger, the classic battery hen ( I have one in my flock) the others look like black rock crosses

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by