1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Any ideas what breed.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jinkses, Apr 21, 2016.

1. jinkses

jinkses Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2016
    Tx
    [​IMG]

We are first time owners and my wife went to TS and got some chicks 3 reds, and 3 that she said they said dominiques on the tag, but I'm fairly certain these are not dominiques or barred. Am I wrong or are they something else, I was thinking maybe brahma. Thanks in advance.

2. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    Definitely not Dominiques. They don't look quite like brahmas either. Do they have feathered legs?

3. MMorganE

MMorganE Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2016
    Austin, TX
    My rooster was exactly like yours as a chick. Identical. He turned out to be a Rhode Island Red. Here is him now. And NO! I didnt cook him. Strictly a joke picture:)
    [​IMG]

4. jinkses

Apr 21, 2016
    Tx
    Yes there legs are feathered, one is a lot darker than this one and the other one is lighter.

5. jinkses

Apr 21, 2016
    Tx
    [​IMG]

6. MMorganE

Apr 20, 2016
    Austin, TX
    Yup you have some sort of bantam!

7. MMorganE

Apr 20, 2016
    Austin, TX
    My rooster has very feathered feet/legs as well. You are going to have a goregous red bantam, like me, i believe!

8. jinkses

Apr 21, 2016
    Tx
    Really, thanks for the help. :) I was just curious cause the kids were asking me what they would look like when they got big.

9. jinkses

Apr 21, 2016
    Tx
    [​IMG]

10. MMorganE

Apr 20, 2016
    Austin, TX
    My yellow chicks always turned red. Never stayed yellow. Bantams dont get big either. All my fuzzy feathered-feet babies stay soooo cute and little. Hence the "bantam" ;-) What's weird about mine...two of my red bantams just had chicks and the babies are black. Idk why they aren't yellow too haha. Do you have a lot of hawks around there? Hawks looove bantams!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by