Any ideas what breeds they might be?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by yoursobain, Nov 5, 2014.

1. yoursobain

yoursobain Out Of The Brooder

Nov 5, 2014
    I have no idea what age is best to identify what breeds these gals are. We originally wanted to get 2 buff orpingtons, 1 Americana and 1 black australorp but the local breeder we wanted to buy from shut down their site to spend time with their new bundle of joy. I didn't want to wait to till next year to start my flock so I purchased 4 chicks the day they arrived at my local true value store. They get their birds from Murray McMurray if it helps. They order the "Rainbow layer" assortment. I know it is probably to early to know exactly what breeds they are but maybe you can narrow it down?

Blackit is the black chick
    Tweetie is the chipmunk looking chick
    Thelma is the buff colored chick that has not brown spots
    Louise is the buff colored chick WITH brown spots

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
  2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    The black chick is likely a Black Australorp. The two red ones are probably Rhode Island Reds, Red Sex-links, or New Hampshire Reds. Your brown chick looks like either a Welsummer or Light Brown Leghorn.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
  3. yoursobain

Nov 5, 2014
    I was looking at red sex-link and RIRs they were on my list of wanted hens :) so yay and I for sure wanted a Black Australorp. A little sad I didn't get my eater egger but am reading up on welsummers and Light brown leghorns :) Tweetie is for sure my most hyper and active chick. thank you! haha don't mind the giant chick poos lol

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x2

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    what a cute bunch of chicks.

6. yoursobain

Nov 5, 2014
    I think Thelma and Louise (the two reds) are two different breeds...Louise is quite a bit smaller and her new feathers all have brown speckling on them. Thelma is quite a bit bigger and so far not one brown spot. at what age would I be able to post new pictures for a better idea? and at what age will i be able to confirm they are all female? its kinda exciting watching them change, sort of like a surprise lol. Thelma already hops into my hand every time she sees me :)

7. yoursobain

Nov 5, 2014
    at what age would I be able to post new pictures for a better idea? and at what age will i be able to confirm they are all female?

8. yoursobain

Nov 5, 2014
    Also is it possible he brown one is a Sussex?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by