Any ideas what happened??

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by lilli, May 17, 2011.

1. lilli

lilli New Egg

May 17, 2011
    Hi, I'm New to the chick world but always wanted a silkie chicken. I bought one that was 2 days old. Brought her home and made her all comfy in her basket with the medicated food, watering container and heat light. She gained weight and was growing fast. She tried to fly out of the basket, even though I had put higher sides on it, so I bought her a cage. I spent alot of time with her and we bonded right away. I gave her short times out of the cage so she could run and play. On a Friday I noticed she wasn't walking steady. So I took her out of the cage so she could walk around and I could watch her walk and she looked like she had rubber legs but could pick herself up and walk normal. By the end of the day she was having a hard time breathing so held her and gave her some water on her beak. She drank it and within a short time she was breathing normal and cooing while I held her. Thinking she was better I put her in her cage and kissed her goodnight. The next morning she had died. I was crushed because she was a wonderful pet. Now my question....Having just one, would that have caused a problem for her? I would put her on the carpet to run and she would pick up anything she found...could she eaten something that would give her loose poops and cause her to become weak? Is there anything they would eat that would cause them to die from? I'm getting two on Sat. and just don't want to make any mistakes out of ignorance. I really only wanted one so it would bond to me and she did that very well. I spent alot of time with her along with the rest of my family members. Is there such a thing of handleing them to much? We would hold her for short periods and then put her back in her cage to poop. She loved to be held and would climb on my hands so I could pick her up when I asked her to. She followed me around and loved to cuddle in my neck or arms. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

2. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. Sorry for your loss. Was she eating and drinking on her own? What kind of bedding where you using? Did she have pasty butt? Most animals are social animals and when there is only one there is no competion to eat and drink. Sometimes even when there are others, some chicks don't have the will to survive. It was probably nothing you did. [​IMG]

3. lilli

lilli New Egg

May 17, 2011
    Thanks so much for your condolences. I'm so glad I didn't do something to hurt her. I was using shredded newspaper in her litter box area and a dish towel on the rest of the area. The cage that I bought her was for a bird so it had a wire bottom. Because she had little feet and didn't want her to break her leg I used a heavey plastic shelf material and put the dish cloth over it. She was doing so well, it just puzzles me why she got sick so fast. All in one day! I sure don't want it to happen again so hope there wasn't something I was doing wrong. She had bonded with my pet rabbit so thought she would have Walli to take the place of another chick. Walli is very gentle. The chicken guy I bought her from will only sell me two this time. I don't mind but really only wanted one. If that means they will be happen then that's the way it should be. Thanks again for your nice welcoming.

4. Katydid2011

Katydid2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    West Coast USA
    I'm so sorry for your loss. [​IMG] I wish I had some insight to offer but I don't, I simply want to welcome you to BYC. I'm glad you've joined us.

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  5. lavenderlakefarm

lavenderlakefarm Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2011
    I'm new too, so sorry about your silky.

6. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    Sorry about your loss! I'd try again. Two would probably bond to you just as well, but then it would have company when no one was around. Chickens are social animals. They do eat whatever they pick up. If you post your problem in the emergencies/injuries thread, you will get some good advice. Lots of very chicken smart folks on here with wonderful advice! [​IMG]

7. lilli

lilli New Egg

May 17, 2011
    Thanks everyone. So glad I joined. Nice to have chicken friends. How would I get to the emergency injury thread?

8. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana!

So sorry for your loss!! [​IMG] I have no idea what could have possibly happened to her!! But yes they do better when they have a companion.

9. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. So sorry for your loss [​IMG]

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  10. white01

white01 Brady Brook Poultry

May 11, 2010
    West Enfield,Maine
    [​IMG] [​IMG] from Maine