Any Ideas What This Houseplant Is??

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Laurajean, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Sorry, I don't have a picture. I have a severe case of Laryngitis, and yesterday my doctor was giving me various tips, a humidifier, nasal/throat rinses, not talking, etc. He also said "You can get one of those houseplants that add moisture too". I asked what kind of plant that was. I knew houseplants add oxygen, but never heard of one adding moisture. He said he didn't know the name of it but has one in his office and I could check it out before I left.

Well of course by the end of the appt I walked right out and forgot to look at the plant in his office.

Any ideas what houseplants might add MOISTURE to the home?? Even without the Laryngitis, I have a wood stove and a VERY dry house and would love to have plants that add moisture.

2. WingingIt

WingingIt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
  3. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    You can get an iron pot and put water in it and set on your wood stove to add moisture to the air. There is even a pot that is made just for this. It has a top with holes in it to let the moisture escape. I don't know what they are called but have seen them. Or you could just get a humidifier. Works great at keeping your nasal passages and skin from being so dry in the winter.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  4. Laurajean

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Quote:I do actually have one of those cast iron pots on the wood stove, but thank you. I had a humidifier once but it was loud and I hated constantly refilling it. That's why I really liked the idea of plants. Plus, I only have a couple houseplants, and would really like more, so I figured I could kill two birds with one stone so to speak.

5. dianneS

dianneS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    South Central PA
    I'd be willing to bet he meant a Peace Lily. Those are probably the most common of the "humidifying" houseplants. Peace Lilies can even be grown in just standing water with no soil at all. They are easy plants to find. Usually the grocery stores carry them or Lowe's and Home Depot. You see them everywhere; in shopping malls and hospitals, they are very common, easy to keep and they bloom too!

6. Laurajean

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Quote:I've seen Peace Lillies and love them. I did not know you could keep them in water without soil. I have a bamboo plant like that and love it. I put it in a clear jar filled with rocks and water and it's very pretty. I will look into the Peace Lilly, thank you!

I definitely need something low maintenance; I do NOT have a green thumb.

7. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Most all plants add moisture to the air, but I'm sure there are some better at it than other! Just make sure you don't keep plants in your bedroom, because they release CO2 at night time.

8. annageckos

annageckos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    SE PA / NJ
    Quote:The amount of CO2 they produce is not going to harm you. I have always kept plants in my bedroom and am fine. I have seven plants in my bedroom right now. Plus a bunch of clippings rooting hanging over the sides of my fish tank.

9. NYboy

NYboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    White plains
    Humidity trays are used for plants that like hight humidty. Get a water proof tray fill with rocks, then fill with water up to rocks. Set your plant on rocks little above water level.

10. Moabite

Moabite Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    Utah
    I have no idea which plant he was referring to.
    I put a valve on my drier vent. Sometimes in the winter, I'll divert the warm moist air back into the house, but I usually use the dry air as a cue to make soup! Crockpot is going right now with some homemade egg noodles and leftover frozen turkey from the holidays. Hope you get better soon.

Carbon Dioxide from plants can't be any worse then the CO2 humans exhale, Carbon Monoxide is the killer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by