Any Ideas what we have??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MLWoods, Sep 18, 2012.

1. MLWoods

MLWoods Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2012
    Cincinnati
    I know we have a golden comet, barred rock and the rest are up for grabs. I know what I should have too, and looking at pictures of other chickens the same age as the breeds we think we have, I am not so sure...They are all supposed to be hens, 4 weeks old too. i picked them up from Mt Health Hatchery here in Cincinnati, and there was an extra I dint realize was there until they we home a couple hours. This is new to us, so any insight would be great! I am so afraid that we have named and become attatched to a rooster, because that won't fly here in the city!
    I[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ChixAddict

ChixAddict Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2012
    Seguin, TX
    Skipping first picture...the ones in the back are too hard to see and others are repeated in other pics.
    2nd picture - silver laced wyandotte (SLW)
    3rd picture - on feed trough is light brahma
    last picture - front to back on feeder looks like gold laced wyandotte (GLW), barred rock (BR), ameraucana ( maybe... or EE - easter egger); on right gold comet

Unfortunately, I'm not a good judge on sexing the birds at that age, but none stand out as roos to me, although the gold laced comb is looking larger than the others.

3. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    the mostly white with feathered legs looks like a light brahma the black and white with yellow legs looks like a wyandotte the black and gold might be to

4. MLWoods

MLWoods Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2012
    Cincinnati
    So the big brown one is my EE?? Who knew? This whole
    Time I thought she was my GL Wyandotte. There is no beard in sight, do they all have beards? Like I said they are only 4 weeks today. They seem to vary greatly in size and feathering, I am wondering if they were hatched at different times, and I just picked them up when the hatchery had each breed, even if that means a few were older than the others.

5. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    What color legs and what kind of comb does the brown one have? I agree that the second pic is silver laced Wyandotte, 3rd pic light Brahma, and the black/red in the front of the last pic looks to be a gold laced Wyandotte.

6. Panth

Panth Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2012
    Indiana
    yes..the big brown one is an EE, but between the chick-fluff stage and the 8 to 9 week -getting adult feathers in stage they loose the beard and muffs. If she had fluffy cheeks as a very young chick, then she will grow them back in as an adult. Some EE do not have muffs at all, but most hatchery-quality will have them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by