Any ideas where to enlist help disbudding?

Cara

Songster
12 Years
Aug 30, 2007
NM
Last year i didn't disbud any kids, this year I planned to. Today was the day, and it didn't go well. My husband knows how to dehorn a calf, I know nothing about dehorning anything. We only did one and it did not go smoothly, I think we didn't do it for long enough but it was just awful. The kid is ok, we stopped rather than risking injuring her. Do you know where I might find someone to help or do it for us? I'd rather pay someone than go through this again.

Thankfully I was able to get in touch with a goat dairy and took them there. The lady was very helpful and has offered to let me take my others to her and she'll talk me through the process. It's a 3hr drive each way but it's worth it.

It's been my experience that goat people are very helpful. I guess it's inversely related to what a pain in the butt goats are? LOL Anyway, I'm glad you found some help.
smile.png

It's a 3hr drive each way but it's worth it.

Isn't that the truth? When I find an experienced person like that I treat them near and dear. I know a woman that has had a lifetime of experience with livestock and she is invaluable when it comes to treating animals.
I took a buckling to her last spring to be disbudded. As it turned out she bought him from me on the spot. She had me hold him while she neutered him. I was amazed. She cut a small slit pulled his testies out through it and he didn't make a sound. He acted like he didn't feel a thing and it took her 20 seconds. ..if that long.​

We didn't disbud ours either, but we will in the future. We only have 2 pets right now but are looking for a milk goat.
Looks like we will have to enlist some help if it's a difficult task...we took our little guy to the vet and had him neutered like a dog!
We had bought the banding kit but just couldn't bear the thought of actually going through with it. We are pitiful farmers
hide.gif

Thankfully my husband knows how to castrate them as the process is no different to a calf, just on a smaller scale. Disbudding sounds simple on paper, and it is simple, but not if you've never actually seen it done in person. It doesn't help having the wrong kind of iron and no box LOL He uses a different method on calves. It's not nearly as bad if you know what you're doing and can do it quickly. We were worried about stressing the kid out or injuring it, done properly it won't happen. They both happily took a bottle afterwards, and they'd never even been bottle fed.

When mine needed to be disbudded I first contacted the breeder of my does and she did some for me for a fee. I felt that she charged too much though so when the next kids were born I went on the Goat Spot and asked there. I was able to find someone not too far away and she did it much cheaper than the breeder, but still did a good job.

Back
Top Bottom