Any ideas why I lost a good one!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickenannie1, Mar 30, 2012.

1. chickenannie1

chickenannie1 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2012
    Central Wisconsin
    [​IMG] I went out to my coop last night and found one of my 4 month old easter eggers, that I raised from a day old, at the bottom of the coop still outside. She walked right up to me and I picked her up. When I did I went running to the house to get my husband. My poor chicken was skin and bone, literally no meat on her at all. She apparently had stopped eating a while ago and I didn't know. Until now I never noticed anything wrong. I cried the whole time i did the rest of the animals knowing she was going to die and it was too far gone for me to help at this point. I placed her in her coop, made a nice soft bed for her to lay on. She has now passed and I am baffled. Why did she stop eating? The rest of the flock is in great shape. I am very sad and confused. I expect to lose some as chicks and have learned to deal with that, but at 4 months I am having a hard time. I refer to lease ladies as my girls and have truly come to love each and everyone.

RIP my little girl. May you suffer no more! [​IMG]

2. chestypuller

chestypuller Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Alaska
    I have no idea on why, but very sorry to hear, im very sorry.

3. bj taylor

bj taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2011
    North Central Texas
    sure sorry. she must have had a digestive issue come up. everyday i go out to my coop, i'm wondering what i will find.

4. chickenannie1

chickenannie1 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2012
    Central Wisconsin
    Thanks! I never thought I would be the type to cry over a lost chicken, but I cried like a baby and still get upset thinking about it! I am always scared what I will find but so far have only had a few sad surprises!! Hopefully no more!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by