1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Any ideas?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by btalbott, Feb 18, 2017.

1. btalbott

btalbott New Egg

Feb 8, 2017
    Anyone ever see this?[​IMG]

The other ones don't have it.

Thx

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
  2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    The photo doesn't make it quite clear - is the darkness dried blood on the area that has become bare? If so, it would seem this bird has been the target of some fairly serious picking. At any rate, it would be worth it to catch the bird up, clean the area and see what the underlying tissues look like. It may be necessary to isolate this bird for a few days for the skin to heal up if it is too badly damaged and raw as raw/open wounds invite more picking and that can quickly become serious/fatal. If the skin isn't too bad once it's been cleaned off you may be able to get away with using a topical like blukote to cover the area long enough for healing without having to isolate the bird.

3. btalbott

btalbott New Egg

Feb 8, 2017
    I wasn't sure if it happened to be dried blood or not . . . and I wasn't sure if this was something medical in nature or not - just by seeing a photo. Unfortunately, this was a bird that came with the property I purchased and not quite fond of people. Previous owners didn't spend any time with them. I'll see if I can't get her isolated and cleaned up.

thanks

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
  4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Catch her off the roost tonight, wipe it with a damp cloth. ..if it's blood it'll come away pink/red. If it's not blood she may have gotten her head into something, still a good idea to clean it off if you can

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by