Any ideas???

SarahM2388

In the Brooder
Mar 18, 2018
Mesa Arizona
I know silkies are hard they’re 10 weeks old going on 11 I think the only female I have is the buff?? Any expert opinions??

Attachments

• 254F77AC-1B0C-48F3-8942-B396F83D603D.jpeg
    254F77AC-1B0C-48F3-8942-B396F83D603D.jpeg
    911.1 KB · Views: 10
Looks like a cockerel to me. :hmm

But not knowing the line or having others from the same line can make it harder... My line gets combs and waddles, but I recently saw a line with a 7 month old cockerel... I would have SWORN was female when compared to mine.

I don't see any dead give away's in yours... but here, all are guilty until proven female. :p

Behavior can be a very good indicator. I have had a Silkie boy who learned to crow as young as 4 weeks old (from my dogs howling). And I had another who started trying to mate by 8 weeks old. :smack While others like to keep ya guessing.

I find the boys often hang out in groups while the gals are *usually* more independently exploring.

That chick being non bearded still isn't sporting waddles that I can see. And the comb doesn't look like it's big either... Is this the one you suspect is female? Despite my earlier guilty verdict... with others to compare, you might be right! :pop :fl Ya... barring late blooming males, in MY OWN stock... that would be consider female! :wee

5793F2B9-9880-48A7-A839-9075CA781C87.jpeg
DF91FF7E-B2C2-4DA8-9F2F-AE30C8A63193.jpeg

Thank you! I just noticed all my pics didn’t load... I’ve had a feeling this one was a boy comparing it to my other roo

Attachments

• D56B3B73-6DD5-4E46-9E06-8C7DF9B845D6.jpeg
    D56B3B73-6DD5-4E46-9E06-8C7DF9B845D6.jpeg
    342 KB · Views: 2
View attachment 1350441 View attachment 1350442

Thank you! I just noticed all my pics didn’t load... I’ve had a feeling this one was a boy comparing it to my other roo
Looks like a cockerel to me. :hmm

But not knowing the line or having others from the same line can make it harder... My line gets combs and waddles, but I recently saw a line with a 7 month old cockerel... I would have SWORN was female when compared to mine.

I don't see any dead give away's in yours... but here, all are guilty until proven female. :p

Behavior can be a very good indicator. I have had a Silkie boy who learned to crow as young as 4 weeks old (from my dogs howling). And I had another who started trying to mate by 8 weeks old. :smack While others like to keep ya guessing.

I find the boys often hang out in groups while the gals are *usually* more independently exploring.

That chick being non bearded still isn't sporting waddles that I can see. And the comb doesn't look like it's big either... Is this the one you suspect is female? Despite my earlier guilty verdict... with others to compare, you might be right! :pop :fl Ya... barring late blooming males, in MY OWN stock... that would be consider female! :wee
And the splash and white one usually hang out together and the little buff always escapes and is exploring on her own so that helps a lot :) thank you for the tips

Back
Top Bottom