1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Any ideas?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by animalpro24, Sep 11, 2011.

1. animalpro24

animalpro24 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    I got three Blue swedes from Coastal farm and ranch supply 5 months ago as strait run. They turned out to be 2 girls 1 boy. Well Calsifer is my only boy and he is filling his male roll the the fullest. But I'm not planning hatch ducklings or any of that jazz. He is getting rougher and rougher with the girls and being very pushy, pulling their feathers, chasing them, not letting the buffs get in the pool, and so on. Sooo I'm thinking of getting rid of calsifer, I never wanted boys any way.
    This may seem rude to some of you and I thought I could never get rid of any of my ducks, but I would be much happier. Although do you think my girls would be sad when and if he goes? I would feel terrible if they did!

Your thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks a bunch!

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:I understand exactly what you are saying, I will only have females next time I get to choose ducks, I have an older drake and my only duckling hatched this year is a drake, but no your girls won't miss him, they will probably be happier without him, plus if your not wanting ducklings then you don't need a drake. They can be awfully rough with the girls.

3. animalpro24

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    Quote:I understand exactly what you are saying, I will only have females next time I get to choose ducks, I have an older drake and my only duckling hatched this year is a drake, but no your girls won't miss him, they will probably be happier without him, plus if your not wanting ducklings then you don't need a drake. They can be awfully rough with the girls.

One thing is I don't know is how he acts when I'm not "in his territory". I think I'll try to go out their and not let them see me and watch how he acts when their alone.

Oh and one more thing: What months are mating season?

4. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Drakes are randy buggers and duck mating always looks brutal. I wouldn't feel bad about not wanting to keep him. You have to do what's best for your girls. Some ducks will continue to lay/mate all year and some are seasonal. Do you think the girls are being mated too much? Are they missing feathers?

5. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    My drake is obnoxious for part of the year, then he settles down when it gets colder and the hens are not laying as much. I find him to be a PITB, but I could never give him up. It is too cute the way he watches over "his girls" and keeps the flock together. He will try to chase me off, but is not really all that brave. And yes, he can be rough with the hens, especially the smallest one. But they honestly don't seem to mind.
    I'd never get another boy if I could help it, but I could not send him away either. JMO

6. animalpro24

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    Quote:This is about the same thing. Hopefully he comes down later in the year. I watched them today where they couldn't see me and he was pretty good! I'm thinking it's just when I'm around he's rough. Hmmmmmmmm........ I'll keep watching and get back to you.

7. animalpro24

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    Quote:The thing is he really isn't that bad. He's just a big bully when I'm around...... I'm not making any decisions for now.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  8. EmAbTo48

EmAbTo48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Northern Wisconsin
    My males aren't all that aggressive with my females, yes they mate, but it really tends to just be right when I let them out the coop in the morning and there running around lol!

My Pekin male is older and honestly just doesn't seem to have that drive anymore, he will gently nudge the girls around (never nipping) but that’s honestly it he only will mate randomly! He’s such a big sweetheart. I have also once seen him chase our younger drake around the yard (not joking like full on them running after each other) because he was getting very aggressive with the girls LOL!

I am thinking age really has slowed him down, but he is still very much the boss! I don't know what will happen once he passes [​IMG] my little flock will be thrown for a loop!

Also mine are seasonal winter comes and there is no mating at all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by