Any Ideas?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by gamelife, Feb 11, 2012.

1. gamelife

gamelife Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2011
    California
    Ok guys, I have this young rooster that is pecking at his oil gland area like crazy.
    Now he has drew blood. I used to think he was not right in the head because it seemed
    he would just chase his tail. I was so close to putting him down but thought to give him a chance as I had never seen anything like this in all my years of raising chickens. So with a little observation it seems he's after his oil gland and it's bothering him so much he isn't eating right. He is isolated from the rest of the flock and has been treated for lice and parasites. Anyone ever heard or seen anything like this? Can an oil gland get clogged?
    If its a mental issue I'll have cull him but if its something I can treat he deserves the help.
    His agony(and circle spinning) is progressively getting worse.
    Never seen anything like it.

2. gamelife

Nov 6, 2011
    California
    Any chicken doctors?

3. i am not sure you should try and find a chicken docter near you where do you live in CA i am most likely to late to be posting on this thread though!

4. gamelife

Nov 6, 2011
    California
    Thanks for posting though. I have since then put him down. At one time he seemed to get better
    but then later continued in his awkward manner. He was in some sort of misery that was beyond
    help, so he had to be culled.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by