Any indications on gender with these?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ldawntaylor, Apr 13, 2016.

1. ldawntaylor

ldawntaylor Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2015
    Arkansas
    This first is smaller than the other two, not even a hint of pink in the comb or wattles. The demeaner and behavior are different from the other two as well. Still quite active and no signs of poor health - just smaller.

[​IMG]

This one and the other two are often circling each other or staring at each other. There is the same behavior between them and the two Cherry Eggers I suspect are male.

[​IMG]

Here is the third, there is begining to be some color to the comb in some lights.

[​IMG]

Any in put on gender or breed is appreciated.

2. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    To young to say for sure but I would keep an eye on the bottom two.

3. ldawntaylor

May 23, 2015
    Arkansas
    Thanks,

I realize it is just guessing at this point. But, behavior has me thinking either male or dominant female for those two.

4. ldawntaylor

May 23, 2015
    Arkansas
    Well, I have gotten a definite answer now - I've heard all three crowing while I was observing. So much for them being pullets as advertised.

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Darn [​IMG]

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I hate when they do that. Sorry

7. ldawntaylor

May 23, 2015
    Arkansas
    At least now I can make some decisions about what I am doing without feeling like I am missing out.

Of the nine birds purchased around that time 6 were sold as pullets and 3 were straight run. Of those 9 birds I have heard and seen 5 crowing, another has spiky tail feathers, I believe I heard a bantam crowing...so that leaves me with only 2 bantams that are most likely pullets. Both of those bantams are about 16 weeks old and only started getting color in their wattles and combs in the last couple of weeks.

Of course my parents are asking when those cockerels are going to be chicken dinner and when I will start getting eggs. Not quite that terminology though.

Oh well, I know I have too many birds for my space. So I guess this makes it easier to know which birds I am going to try keeping....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by