Any info for Jackson, TN (Madison County)?

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by cheeseheadken, May 2, 2009.

1. cheeseheadken

cheeseheadken Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2009
    West Tennessee
    So, there is a chance I may be moving to Jackson, TN sometime soon and would love to start a backyard flock of layers for eggs and roosters for dinner. I have been lurking here for about 4 months and have been trying to find info on the ordinances for Jackson. No such luck as of now. Anyway, if anyone has any information about Jackson (both inside and outside city limits), that would be much appreciated. I'm also unsure of who would be the best municipal department to contact about it - city clerk's office?

Anyway, if anyone has any advice/information, I would be greatly appreciative.

2. FrenchHen

FrenchHen Chicken Ambassador

Jan 26, 2009
    Bagshot Row
    That's where my family lives! I'm not an expert, but there are chickens on my grandmother's road, and she's outside city limits.

I would expect some sort of ordinance banning them inside, but I'm not sure. I know that there's a strong snob factor in some neighborhoods that could be anti-chicken.

3. cheeseheadken

cheeseheadken Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2009
    West Tennessee
    I've done a bit of investigating and it appears that chickens are not allowed in the city (anything zoned RS Single Family Residential District). The lady in the county building office told me I needed to give her an address so she could check the zones to see what the regulations were. The guy from the city health inspection office told me that they were allowed in the county though. Just thought I'd update in case others find this thread later. City ordinance document here: http://www.cityofjackson.net/departments/planning/City Zoning Ordinance Master Document.pdf

4. FrenchHen

FrenchHen Chicken Ambassador

Jan 26, 2009
    Bagshot Row
    I thought it would be like that. My family thinks that our chickens are anything from "quaint" to "quirky."

My grandmother gets it though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by