Any info on Moyer's K-22 red broilers?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Peruvian, Jul 6, 2008.

1. Peruvian

Peruvian Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Vermont
    I've tried searching but I can't come up with anything on these broilers. Has anyone raised the K-22s from Moyer's Hatchery in PA? How many weeks until they are in the 7-8lb live weight range? What is their FCR? Taste compared to Moyer's Cornish broilers? Why are the cockerels less than a straight run?

I am very pleased with Moyer's CX broilers as they free ranged well for me, but I thought it might be fun to try another breed. Any help is appreciated.

2. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    I do believe that for all intents and purposes they are the same as the "freedom ranger" that used to be sold. There are many good threads on them in this section. 10 - 12 weeks is what you are looking at.

3. skeeter

skeeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Parma Idaho
    why dont you contact Moyer im sure they will be helpful,and can give you the straight poop

4. Elim Farms

Elim Farms New Egg

Aug 8, 2012
    Raising them now. 10 weeks should make them about 5 lbs... but I restrict their diets to .4 lbs of feed a day per bird so they are encouraged to range a little more. A very tasty bird indeed. Less breasty than the whites but still good sized. They are still able to run and flap their wings, very active little guys.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by