Any info on Perdue chickens???

ESofVA

Songster
10 Years
May 4, 2012
Keller, VA
I recently acquired 2 Perdue pullets and 2 days ago I acquired anither pullet and a rooster. They are about 2 months old. I know they don't live a long time due to weight associated problems.
I am wondering though at what age they produce eggs? I would like to try a few crosses before they pass away.
Thanks!!

Hopefully at least one of mine will make it that far. I do expect over time, I will be able to get a few more, and I do know they don't breed true but I don't plan to breed for that.

Last edited:
My DH got 25 meaties from a hatchery, he didn't get them all done. So I ended up with 2 roosters and 8 hens. They started to lay very late, almost a year old before they started. I lost all but one hen to them laying an egg and dying. The two roosters died from heart attacks in the night while on the roost (I did look and found both hearts blowen up) at about 1 1/2 years old if I remember right. I still have one hen (Two Ton Sally) who will be 3 in May of this year. Her and everyone else weighed 25lbs before a year old, even with being on a diet. So I guess she is around 30 lbs by now. Sally lays a big cream colored egg, but I cant say how often because no matter the pen she's in, the other hens eat her eggs and only her eggs. But she doesn't lay a soft shelled egg (I have managed to get a few before they were eaten) so I don't understand why. I did mange to cross the roos to some buff orps and black sexlinks before they passed and got 2 roos. They grew fast as chicks but slowed up as teens and ended up being very big. I have crossed Sally to a buff orp roo and these chicks so far are going the same as the 2 roos from the other cross. I ended up with 2 roos and 2 pullets, but they haven't started to lay yet so I don't know if these will lay the same size egg as mom or as well as a orp
idunno.gif
Hope this helps you some

heres a picture of Two Ton Sally this past fall

I know you can getthe "meaties" from hatcheries, but are they the same as the Perdue produced ones? I thought The ones from them were a patented breed???

I'm gussing they're along the same lines as a cornish cross, maybe a different recipe but same results. You can search around here, there are a lot of threads esp on the meat bird section about folks breeding cornish crosses.

My parents would find them having fallen from the trucks every once in a while and let them free range in our back yard. They did live well that way, with no supplemental feed, only what they could scrounge up. I'm not sure if they ever laid, I was too young to remember if they did. I do remember being attacked and having my face scratched by 2 roosters, though!

I've had friends try to keep them, one tried in his bathtub, but they never laid and died fairly quickly.

I'm gussing they're along the same lines as a cornish cross, maybe a different recipe but same results. You can search around here, there are a lot of threads esp on the meat bird section about folks breeding cornish crosses.
I do expect they are along the same lines, but I don't think they are the same. Ihave started searching..TY.

Back
Top Bottom