1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

any info on small scale sale of chicken in Ohio?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by AthensFlock, Mar 4, 2015.

1. AthensFlock

AthensFlock Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2014
    I'm purchasing some auto sexlinked chickens to turn out as Free range on our 5 acres... The roos I'd like to butcher with the possibility of caponizing and selling the extras. I see that small scale on-farm production (<1000 birds) are exempt from inspection... My only concern is they seem to be a bit particular on waste disposal... As in they want a separate septic tank for disposal of waste water. I in no way plan on creating enough 'waste' to justify a separate waste system... Does anyone know if this is a step I can miss (we do have our own septic tank for the house we could tie into). As to the rest, I really have no objection stainless steel and concrete sound great to me. I know this is a bit of an odd question, but I know the resources are huge on this website and would love any input! TIA!

2. rainbowrooster

rainbowrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2011
    How many are you planning to butcher?

3. AthensFlock

AthensFlock Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2014
    Probably around 100-200/year

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by