1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Any information on gender and breed is greatly appreciated (pics included)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by nlayfield, Feb 14, 2012.

1. nlayfield

nlayfield New Egg

Dec 15, 2011
    Louisiana
    We bought these chickens from a lady who bought them from an auction. She didn't know what breed they were. We have done some research and think they are 1 Blue Maran and 5 Black Copper Marans. However, we are not entirely sure. Also, we have no idea how to sex these chickens. Any opinion on sex and breeds would be very helpful. We are new to this "raisin chickens thang" and thank you in advance for your help. [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    They could all be Marans but I'm not familiar enough with that breed to say but I can tell you that they all look to be roos.

3. Definately looks like Black Cooper Marans and one Splash Marans.

4. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    x3 on marans and look like all roos

5. nlayfield

nlayfield New Egg

Dec 15, 2011
    Louisiana
    Well shoot!!!!!!! Looks like I need to invest in a plucker now. I have no need for 6 roos :(

6. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    they are all cockerels. as for them being marans the splash looks like it for sure the rest look mixed as marans are supposed to have white legs not balck/slate colored. then theres one that seems to have a rose or pea comb as well. they are at least part marans

7. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    Black copper marans are supposed to have slate legs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by