1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Any interest in Blue Barred Rocks?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by RAREROO, Sep 10, 2009.

1. RAREROO

RAREROO Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    I am thinking about getting some blue barred rocks this spring and useing the roosters to breed with some normal black barred hens and I was wondering how many people would be interested in the Blue Barred color and if anyone has any input on how I should breed the to produce a certain percentage of blues. I would have 8-10 normal black barred hens and if I use 2 blue barred roos with them it should give me about 50% blue barred and 50% black barred or I could use 1 blue barred roo and 1 black barred roo and get about 25% blue barred and 75% black barred. So if anyone has an opinion or interest in this breeding, please tell me what you think. I would also like some pics of blue barred rocks if anyone has any.

2. Hi! I have blue Rocks and blue Barred Rocks from a member here. They are smaller than my black Barred Rocks so I'll be crossing a blue Barred roo over my black Barred hens and my black Barred roo over blue Rock hens to see if I can 'bulk up' the next generation.
    I don't have any pics but will try to get some later.
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

3. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    I have two Blue Rock roos and 1 splash Rock hen (post office scrambled eggs in shipping) I hope to hatch some more--here are pics of my #1 roo and my little Heidi. They are only 19 weeks old so Heidi hasn't started laying yet, & Blue Ray is in the "batchelor pad" with my other roos.
    I like them very much, size-wise they fit in between my Welsummers and Blue Andalusians -a "medium" fit, and they are laid-back. & beautiful!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

these are both roos; Mick has pencilling in his neck feathers so is not as acceptable but he's still quite the looker!

[​IMG]

edit to add: they have almost finished moulting now so not looking quite as scraggly. Both have developed very nice lacing across their chests. I'll have to get some front pics to show. Their blue color has deepened and Mick has developed gold barring on his sides (again, not to the standard, but he is one gorgeous roo anyway!) now I just have to get some more girls.

My eggs came from Halo.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
  4. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    My blue and black pullets came from Halo and I LOVE them. I want more of Halo's birds [​IMG] soon soon... I like all forms of blue whether barred or partridge or straight up. It's why I have those two.

Compared to my hatchery rocks, my blue and black girls from Halo are larger, so I'm pleased with that as well. Right now I've only a delaware roo so I'm headed toward some blue and black barred birds. That's not a bad thing. Likely they'll be even bigger since he's just flat HUGE.

Go blue barred [​IMG]

5. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    I've got some Halo blue barred, blue, and black rocks. [​IMG] They's puuuuuuurty! [​IMG]

Yup, working on the blue barred rocks here as well. [​IMG]

6. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    i would love a blue barred ee i cant find any

7. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Quote:talk to Speckled hen, she's got blue and blue barred ee's [​IMG]

8. Hi! I've got cuckoo / blue cuckoo green-eggers.
    I just set everything I had available this morning, but can have some for you Mon if you want them. Follow this link and scroll down for pics:
    Cuckoo / blue Cuckoo green-eggers
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

9. RAREROO

RAREROO Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Thanks

If anyone has any pics of those blue barreds from halo, please post them, that's where I plan to get mine from too.

What do you all think I should do with the roosters? Should I use 2 blue barreds or 1 blue barred and one black barred?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by